Fast Thrifting: How fast fashion continues to harm thrift stores
Elsa ShermanApril 15, 2024

Across the nation, billions of dollars are spent annually on clothing from local thrift stores. This eco-friendly method of clothing resale has...

Decorated in customized apparel, members of The Woods flaunt their vibrant red t-shirts.
Student-led spirit group ‘The Woods’ encourages attendance at less-appreciated sporting events
Madison BishopApril 13, 2024

On Feb. 13, The Woods emerged as a student-led group to promote school spirit and unify the student body. Its objective is to raise attendance...

Sweet delights at San Rafael Farmers’ Market: Waffle Mania, Brittany Crêpes and KettlePop
Nick HartungApril 10, 2024

As winter draws to a close, the local San Rafael Farmers’ Market is coming alive. Every Sunday, hundreds of farms, shops and stores from across...

Review: Get pumped: Exploring local gas stations

With the Doherty Drive closure now upon us, students must adjust to the new realities of longer routes to school and a higher gas bill. It’s a perfect time to reevaluate priorities when it comes to buying gas.

We will surely be spending more money than we’re used to at virtually any station, so why not consider factors such as the quality of food, the cleanliness of bathrooms, and the friendliness of the staff? Four local gas stations were reviewed to do just that.

Larkspur Econogas (2 stars)

Although gas at this station is almost always a few cents cheaper than surrounding stations, this isn’t a station one should visit in the dead of night, while wearing a short skirt, or with any valuables visible in car.

However, if the gas light is flashing or if one simply is looking for a rush of adrenaline, the Larkspur Econogas, located near the 101 on-ramp by Trader Joe’s, is worth a visit.

The “mini-mart,” which resembles a blue and white horse corral, seems to send customers the message “murderers and robbers come here too,” which is far from comforting.

As for the friendliness of the staff, it remains largely a mystery. It’s difficult to see through the bullet-proof glass of the brick bunker that is the gas station kiosk, and therefore hard to judge the character of the man or woman behind the counter.

For nonsmokers and people with stomachs, the Econogas is not the place to go for food, as the only sustenance offered is found in the three semi-stocked vending machines.

There are no bathrooms at the station, unless one is desperate enough to turn to the well-trimmed grass and flower beds.

Sir Francis Drake Chevron (4 stars)

Whether or not your gas light is on, the Sir Francis Drake Chevron is a top choice. In fact, it might be better if you stop with a full tank and skip the gas-getting altogether, as that will allow for more time spent browsing the nearly 20 varieties of jerky available at the Extra Mile.

Known for their slushies and wide array of questionable breakfast pastries, coffees, and microwavable lunches, the Extra Mile offers a huge arrangement of every imaginable road-trip essential.

The slanted aisles of pumps and the consistently clean bathrooms exude luxury, though at least one pump is often out of order and cars can sometimes pile up due to the heavy Sir Francis Drake traffic.

The gas may cost a few extra cents per gallon, but the experience is well worth the extra nickel or two when compared to many neighboring stations.

Strawberry Arco (3 stars)

Drivers should feel a pang in their wallets every time they drive past the Arco station across Highway 101 from the Strawberry shopping mall, but they should also breathe a sigh of relief.

This Arco station is famous for its comparatively low cash only prices, which can be as much as 10 cents less per gallon than nearby stations, and the long lines of cheap, incompetent drivers that occasionally form as a result.

If price per gallon is the only factor, this station would be ranked first, though prices have been inching up in recent months – but in terms of the quality of the experience, the cons outweigh the pros.

After waiting in a jam-packed sea of cars and finally securing a pump, the presence of the large crowd can put stress on drivers, pressuring them to hurry up or feel the wrath of those waiting behind.

This leaves little-to-no time to browse the pathetically stocked mini-mart, which features a few classic items such as corn nuts, soda, and gum. Sandwiches with fast-approaching expiration dates can occasionally found as well, but customers should stick to the non-perishable items.

In terms of bathroom cleanliness, Arco falls in the middle of the pack, with facilities sketchy enough to make one hold one’s breath, but not scary enough to make an abandoned corner behind the building seem like a preferable option.

Marin Gas (3 stars)

For those of you front-lot parkers, the Marin Gas is a pretty decent option. The gas is generally cheap, and during normal, construction-free days, the station is a mere two minute drive from the school (maybe four with current construction), providing quick and easy access for students.

A few minor drawbacks become more visible once one pulls into the station. The station’s adjoining garage is often so full that cars overflow into the pumping lines, causing tough-to-navigate back-ups and awkward waiting situations.

As for food, the small kiosk offers a limited selection of questionable pastries and sketchy microwavable goods, in addition to the traditional slew of sodas and gum. What this mini-mart lacks in food diversity, however, it makes up for with its unusually professional-looking coffee machine.

The bathroom is usually in operational condition, but the gas pumps at the station are touchy and often out of order.

Though the comical elevator music usually played under the concrete awning is a charming, rustic touch and the staff is often friendly, the cramped atmosphere and faulty pumps make easy access the Marin Gas’s only real appeal.