Student associations find success at specialized conventions

Dozens of sleepy students shuffled into the hallways this Monday morning, groggy after packed weekends.

These were not the residual effects from the Steve Aoki concert in San Francisco Saturday night. Instead several academic groups hit off campus competitions and conferences, Model UN, Junior Statesmen of America, and the Bark had conferences over the last week and weekend.

“You could tell who was on Model UN at school the next day because we were all so tired,” said sophomore member Hayden Dean.

Model UN took a trip down to the Stanford Model United Nations Conference, facing off against 17 other schools, in an exhausting 16-hour event where they hypothetically unified North and South Korea, and defused a nuclear Pakistan, among other feats.

Junior Julia Apfel won an award for her research, and Max Metzner, Zach Patel, and Kylie Beck all got Honorable Mentions for the conference.

The Junior Statesman of America club traveled to Santa Clara University for the Golden Gate Region Fall Debate on Justice in America. Co-President Nicole Garay and junior member Brian Montesinos were chosen to give TED-style talks at the convention, about the education system and Obamacare, respectively. Junior Anyu Silverman and senior Lu Klein took part in debates.

JSA co-president, Nicole Garay, said about the convention, “We have a lot of fun at meetings and a good time at conventions regardless [of] if we’re winning or losing debates. Both Kismet [co-president of JSA] and I are really excited for the upcoming conventions and love that Redwood students are becoming more involved in JSA.”

The Bark staff spent the past five days in Boston, attending the National Scholastic Press Association journalism conference.

There, senior Alexa Addleman earned 5th in “Newspaper Spread” design, and Broden Farazmand got an Honorable Mention in “Comic Strips” for their work last year. Also, a write-off contest at the convention, several Bark staff members won awards including four “superiors” and two “excellents.” The Bark won 7th Best in Show in the Large Newspaper category.