Girl’s volleyball defeats Carondelet to win NCS title

The Redwood varsity girls’ volleyball team won the Division II NCS championships for the second time in the last three years, beating Carondelet in straight sets to advance to the state playoffs.

Carondelet was ahead 21-13 midway through the first set before Redwood rallied to tie the score at 24-24 and ultimately won the set 28-26.

According to senior Rachael Thorson, the first set allowed the team to adjust to Carondelet’s playing style.

“The first game was a little hard because we were all kind of nervous and didn’t know what to expect, but once we started playing everything eventually fell into place,” Thorson said.

That was the closest Carondelet would get, as Redwood jumped to an early lead in the second set on the way to a 25-13 set win.

“We didn’t know much about the team,” coach Katie Pease said, “but when we saw them we were able to make a few adjustment to our gameplay, to bring us back from the brink in the first game and to get a big lead in the second.”

Carondelet was stronger in the third set, keeping the score close for much of the set. The Giant’s still managed to pull ahead, scoring 25 points to Carondelet’s 21 and winning the NCS championships in straight sets.

According to senior Hannah Gerson, winning it straight sets was difficult.

“The straight sets was difficult to maintain because you have very little room for mistakes, but once we get in a rhythm it got a lot easier,” Gerson said.

Pease said that the team’s rhythm had improved since their last game.

“We definitely improved our serving game. Rachael Thorson and Lily Barber really stepped up their game,” Pease said. “And even though they passed and served really well which put us on the defensive end of things, our outside hitters Sophie Digrazia and Bailey Osborn did really well.”

After a victorious NCS campaign , the team is focused on the State playoffs. In order to make it to the finals, they have to go through three more rounds of elimination.

“We worked hard all season for this moment and went through a really tough MCAL loss, but that dedication really showed during this game and we want to keep that energy for States,” Thorson said.

Gerson echoed the same sentiments.

“We need to stay focused for states,” Gerson said. “It’s the end of the season and everyone is beat, but we have to keep working hard if we want to win state.”