Elle Wilson April 24, 2024

Student volunteer pushes a cart full of recovered food at the San Rafael Farmers Market to contribute to ExtraFood’s goal to end food waste (Photo courtesy of ExtraFood).
ExtraFood tackles the job to end food waste and hunger since 2013
Scarlett Musgrove April 24, 2024

Marin is the fourth wealthiest county in the Bay Area and yet a significant portion of its population is struggling with hunger, according...

Illustration by Mariel Goodhart
The importance of teaching students how to deal with sexual assault and harassment in schools
Gabrielle Franklin and Mariel Goodhart April 24, 2024

School is meant to be a safe place for students to gain an education. Despite this, some students have been violated in unforgivable ways, in...

Spontaneous Broadway prepares for limelight

Spontaneous Broadway, an improvised musical put on by a cast of ten Advanced Drama students will be the next performance to take place on the EPiC stage, starting on Tuesday and running through Saturday.

Spontaneous Broadway is a show that thrives off of audience participation. At the beginning of the show the audience makes up song titles, which the cast uses to base the entire performance off, without any time to plan.

While the loose structure proves a challenge, it is also the best part about improvisational acting, according to junior Monica Frangoul.

Emily Newell, Gabriela Manuela, and Julien Almond rehearse for the Spontaneous Broadway production.

“The best part about improv is that it gives you more freedom to be creative, and see what you can actually do. You can take the whole show anywhere and you get to let your ideas run wild,” Frangoul said.

The show is only an hour to an hour and a half in duration, but the aspect of improvisation has provided a new, and often challenging experience.  According to junior Gabriela Manuela, the experience has allowed the cast to grow as actors.

“Throughout this process I’ve seen our development as a cast, and how much better we’ve gotten,” Manuela said.

Due to the challenges that improvisational acting presents, the cast has been practicing and rehearsing for the show for a month, by doing improv exercises to help with them with their ability to act and sing on the spot.

The element of song is especially important in the show, since the whole show is centered around the song title.  According to junior Jason Gorelick, the song is the climax of the play.

“We have to build up emotion because the point of a song is to express emotion,” said Gorelick, explaining that throughout the whole play they are working toward the song.

Despite the importance of the acting and musical lessons that the actors receive, there are other things that are crucial to an actor’s success with improv.

“Confidence is very important, as well as being able to think on the spot. The more you do improv acting the better you get,” Frangoul said.

According to Manuela, listening and being a supportive cast member are also important to the success of the performance.

“In situations where you don’t know what’s happening on stage, just listen,” said Manuela. She also stresses the importance of learning to support and work with your cast members rather than competing with them.

“It’s been challenging, but it’s been the most rewarding experience I’ve had in Redwood drama,” Manuela said.

There will be a preview of the show on Oct. 21 at 7:30 p. m. in the Little Theater.