Freddy Lambrecht breaks down barriers between student-teacher relationships

Alex Hanover

With Redwood’s population of 1,986 students, it is necessary for the administration to protect the students and staff by keeping a clean and healthy school environment. In doing this, they make sure students are acting orderly while also maintaining a stable bond with the kids. For Freddy Lambrecht, a school assistant and Redwood High School Brawlers wrestling coach, that comes easy. As an empathetic and hardworking member of Redwood’s campus staff, he works to improve campus grounds on a daily basis to make the school as a whole better overall, assist in administration’s needs and create a better atmosphere for the student environment. 

After Lambrecht started his career as a wrestling coach at Novato High School, in 2022 he became the Redwood Brawlers wrestling coach,  which he was then offered the position of campus assistant for Redwood’s administration. 

“Honestly, I do all kinds of stuff around here. I help teachers, [staff] in the office and make sure [students] aren’t doing anything ridiculous around the school,” Lambrecht said.

Lambrecht’s interactions with different students have made positive impacts on students and their lives. One Redwood wrestler on Lambrecht’s team, Evan Daley, expressed how influential Lambrecht’s sympathetic demeanor has been to the Redwood Brawlers program.

“After I stopped wrestling, I’d see [Lambrecht] in the hallway and he would always  come over and talk to me. [He always made] sure to bring up the Brawlers program. [Lambrecht] is extremely friendly and personable. He’s easy to walk up to and start a conversation. He’s always happy to see you,” Daley said. 

For Lambrecht, his time at Novato High School has been a stark contrast to his experience at Redwood, due to the large difference in student behavior and atmosphere that occurred during his time there.

“Here at Redwood, these are honestly good kids. They might make a mistake here and there, but they’re great kids,” Lambrecht said.

Freddy Lambrecht greets a student in between passing periods.

For many students, their time at school may not be as great as others in terms of social and academic aspects. Whether it has to do with something going on at home, a situation pertaining to the classroom or a personal matter, this can lead to students having rougher circumstances than others. As a school campus assistant, Lambrecht views being empathetic towards high school students as the best approach to ultimately work through something with a student. 

“If I see you in the hallway and you might be having a bad day or something, I might walk by you a couple of times before I [say,] ‘What’s going on with you?” Lambrecht said.

As mental health problems at Redwood are very prominent, misbehavior is also common for high school students. This misbehavior is met head on by Lambrecht himself. 

“I approach [students that are misbehaving] as if they were any other student, just a little more stern. I definitely use they’re last name [and] that usually grabs their attention,” Lambrecht said.

Considering the fact that Lambrecht graduated high school not too long ago, he is familiar with the high school mindset and experience.

“I know what the [students] are doing when they are trying to be slick because I was in high school [just] a couple of years ago,” Lambrecht said.

Lambrecht felt that working at Redwood has been a great experience for both him and the kids. 

“I 100 percent enjoy what I do here. You’ll constantly hear me talking [to kids] about making good decisions and learning from the poor ones. I’d say that because I’ve made poor decisions and I’ve learned from them. I tell them [the mistakes I’ve made] and how to stay out of trouble and avoid them,” Lambrecht said.