Pop album displays range and talent of young singer

Yours Truly, an album released on September 3 by pop artist Ariana Grande, topped the Billboard 200 and the Billboard digital album charts for the week of September 21.

Courtesy of Republic Records
Courtesy of Republic Records

The record manages to re-establish the boundaries for teenage pop music and create a new and improved image for young female pop artists.

The album contains some of her hit previously released singles including “The Way,” featuring Mac Miller, and her collaboration with MIKA, “Popular Song.” Both tracks exhibit Grande’s talented voice, but lack in the originality department, especially when compared with other songs on the album.

Most of her work features delicate vocals that are very high-pitched and jazzy, with rhythmic and upbeat background music.

The collection of tracks found on Yours Truly blend easily into each other, and each brands a common theme of being very lively and young. None of the songs are too lengthy, and the record appears to be geared towards a younger audience, with no deep emotional ballads.

Keeping the songs light hearted, Grande makes the album an easy piece to listen to. What she lacks in creativity, she makes up for with a true ability to sing. The young artist’s passion for performing is easily translated into the songs, and makes the lyrics have more staying power.

“Daydreamin”’ proved to be one of the better tracks on the album. This song extends beyond the typical teenage pop sound and produces something with a little more soul as Grande’s voice develops a smokier tone. The track features snaps in the background, a lively means of setting the beat.

The last song on Yours Truly is combination Spanish and English version of “The Way,” which features the original song along with some chosen verses sang in Spanish. The addition of “Spanglish” adds a unique touch to the end of the record.

It is doubtful that those who do not like teen pop will enjoy Grande’s new album. However, as far as young female vocalists go, Grande definitely exhibits some real talent that is well translated onto Yours Truly and it will be interesting to see what the future holds for this young pop sensation.