Shake it up, baby: the best milkshakes in Marin

To start off the year, the Redwood Bark sought after the best milkshakes in Marin. The refreshing treat may not be a traditionally autumnal drink, but hey, we’re all still in denial that summer is winding down.

We compared the chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry shakes at three locations based on a variety of points. Flavor, price, and overall experience were considered, in addition to the consistency of the drinks — nothing is worse than a watery or too-thick shake. The locations were selected for their freshly made milkshakes with real ice cream. Interestingly, all three places used Dreyer’s ice cream, yet the results were anything but identical.

Chocolate milkshake at The Counter
Photo by Sarah Goldwasser

The Counter: 3.5 stars

The Counter has an advantage over other locations due to its close proximity to Redwood. It’s an easy after-school place to get a burger, and after tasting three different types of shakes, We’d recommend stopping by for a strawberry milkshake as well. The strawberry ice cream’s flavor was much brighter than the chocolate and vanilla shakes, which seemed a little murky.

The ice cream used in the milkshakes is Dreyer’s brand, and our server explained that the amount is pre-weighed for each shake so there’s no unequal distribution. There were large chunks of ice cream floating near the top of the shakes, but the bottoms of the drinks were more milky and not very cold. For $5.50 a glass they were pretty pricey, but the service was great, and it’s Town Center location is convenient.

Vanilla shake at Super Dupe
Photo by Sarah Goldwasser

Super Duper Burgers: 4 stars

Super Duper is a personal favorite for burgers, and I have been intrigued for some time about its shakes. Luckily, they did not disappoint. The consistency is creamy and equal throughout, and unlike The Counter, Super Duper’s shakes are very cold and slightly frothy. They’re made with Dreyer’s ice cream as well, and the vanilla was definitely the best — it was simple but flawless.

Ambience-wise, it’s very loud inside Super Duper, albeit good-looking and inviting. The location is less convenient if you’re looking for a place to go right after school, but perfect for the weekend.  Regular sizes are $4.75.

Strawberry shake from Woody's
Photo by Emma Peters

Woody’s Yogurt Place: 4 stars

Tucked in the back of Strawberry Village, Woody’s is a pretty unassuming ice cream and frozen yogurt shop. However, the quality — and quantity — of their milkshakes was surprising. Woody’s also uses Dreyer’s ice cream, yet their shakes were very different than The Counter and Super Duper. They were remarkably thick and smooth, especially the chocolate. The strawberry had a much fruitier taste than the ones from other locations, and had a really nice, creamy texture.

Overall, the service was friendly, and the just-off-101 shop is lovely (although often crammed with bikers and small children.) Woody’s milkshakes are only one available in size, so for $4.75, you get 24 ozs of a very rich and filling milkshake — it’s okay to share.