Legendary Redwood coach passes away

Bob Troppman was the first football coach when Redwood opened in 1958 and also coached basketball and track. He passed away at age 89 on Aug. 30 of natural causes.

Bob Troppmann, the first Redwood football coach and a former athletic director, died of natural causes on Friday, Aug. 30, at the age of 89.

A Marin legend, Troppmann built the football program from the ground up when Redwood started in 1958.

Troppmann, who is considered a founding father of Redwood High School, had coached football teams at Redwood, Drake, and College of Marin. He coached varsity football at Redwood from the opening season in 1958 until 1969, and later coached freshman football, basketball and track.

Former students, athletes, teachers, and coaches remember Troppmann as a hard worker with a can-do attitude. “Coach Troppmann did everything 110%,” said Matt Gondak, who graduated Redwood in 1973. “His mentality was, ‘you do the right stuff, you try your best.’”

The Bob Troppmann Field was named after him in 1997.

In the 50th Anniversary edition of the Bark, Troppmann recalled a memory of being one of the first teachers and coaches at Redwood.

“Everything was brand new, and just being part of the organization was great,” he said. “The spirit was fantastic. The athletes were good at the early years. There were excellent teachers. The beginning years were good.”

Although Troppmann taught for 38 years and left with a total varsity record of 60-40-1, he left a legacy far greater than scores and championship titles.

Troppmann not only coached football and taught P.E., but also wrote six books on football strategies. Additionally, he wrote several articles for the Athletic Journal in the 50s and 60s, including Tackling—80% heart, 20% skill, Morale—a Factor in Line Coaching, and  Music as a Stimulus to Athletes.

Troppmann’s publisher said he recognized him as having “brilliant tactical and teaching skills.”

Known as “Coach T” by his players, Troppmann founded the first football camp in California in 1964, the Diamond B Football Camp, the first clinic for football coaches in California and several other clinics.

Before turning to coaching, the ex-Marine had played in the Pacific Coast Football League with the Oakland Giants and San Francisco Clippers during 1946 and 1947.

Troppmann earned many honors and awards over his lifetime for his dedicated work, including induction into seven halls of fame. He was indicted into the California Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2001, and in 2007, Troppmann was awarded a place in Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame.

“He was universally liked—loved, even,”  said Gondak, whose older brother played football with one of Troppmann’s sons. “He was a role model without trying to be.”

Bob Troppmann is survived by his wife Marilyn, five children, five grandchildren and five great grandchildren.