Preps of the year: Max Friend

MAXFRIENDWEB

When the final horn sounded on the NCS Division I lacrosse championship game, Redwood had defeated Novato 13-7. Some 50 Redwood students, just a small portion of those who had enthusiastically trekked up to Novato, stormed onto the field.

In the center of ensuing mob stood — or, more accurately, hooted, hollered, and jumped—the entire Redwood team. At the center of the team, as he had been all year long, through grueling offseason practices, through painful losses, and through thrilling victories, was Max Friend.

Friend played lacrosse at the varsity level for Redwood all four of his years at the school and was a leader as a team captain his junior and senior seasons.

“I go out there and try to set the tone for the game through leading by example,” Friend said.  “For me it’s easier to run faster, play better if there are people around me doing the same.”

Winning NCS, a goal that the team set earlier this season, was accomplished this season with a 13-7 win over Novato in the sectional championship game.

Friend was able to contribute to his team’s success the past two years by largely contributing to face-offs for his team.

“I’m a big believer that ground balls win championships. It’s the nitty-gritty parts of the game, when things are unsettled — I like to make sure I can go out and take control,” he said.

Friend was selected as a first team All-MCAL player for his senior year, after being a second team All-MCAL selection his sophomore year.

Friend was also an integral part of the MCAL champion cross country team this fall, as he was a second team All-MCAL runner his junior and senior years.

He said that cross country is hard work, but the reward is worth it.

“I’m going to work harder than I’ve ever worked in my life, and then the reward is the pride I feel after it,” he said.