We are at risk; Redwood needs more effective school shooting protocols

Dani Steinberg

In 2021, there were a total of 34 U.S. school shootings ending in severe injuries or deaths, according to Education Week. In the first month of 2022, there were four active shooter incidents nationally on school campuses. As the number of school shootings surges, the probability of one occurring in a nearby school is more likely than most want to believe. 

Though it is impossible to know what has caused the increase in incidents, according to The Washington Post, researchers believe that the spike in gun sales, higher rates of overall violence and the pandemic are all contributing factors. Thus, with this rise, preparation for such a dangerous and deadly event is essential. Students’ lives are on the line and we cannot afford to waste time with drills that would be insufficient in the event of a real threat. Redwood must frequently practice informative drills that effectively provide the necessary safety information to students and staff in the case of an active shooter. 

During the first semester of the 2021-2022 school year, Redwood conducted two active shooter drills. Students were instructed to sit under their desks in locked classrooms and evacuate to the football field once it was announced safe to do so. However, having students sit under their desks is a flawed idea. Although a shooter would not be able to see students through a window, if a shooter got past a locked door or found an alternative point of entry, students would be left with little to no protection. Therefore, these drills are ineffective and impractical for the event of a real shooter. In the event that a shooting does occur, Redwood needs to prepare students and staff in ways other than two low-quality drills each semester.

Following the Oxford, Mich. shooting, New York Times reporter Claire Fahy interviewed Oxford High School senior Aiden Paige. During the shooting, Paige had reacted quickly to the sound of gunshots, working to make sure his peers were safe by barricading the classroom door. 

“[Students in the room] were prepared … [Oxford Students] do drills for shootings like this several times a year,” Paige said.

Oxford students had little hesitation to act quickly and efficiently when their school was under threat. After reading about how the students protected themselves and their peers, it was hard to imagine Redwood in the same position. If a shooting were to ever occur students would be ill-equipped with the necessary skills and techniques that could be lifesaving in protecting themselves and others. 

Oxford High School had practiced the ALICE drill prior to the 2021 shooting, and its effectiveness was clear when it helped save students’ lives. ALICE practices put students in a more intense and realistic situation as opposed to students leisurely sitting under their desks, as is done during Redwood shooter preparation.

Although some may view the current drill as ineffective, Vice Principal Saum Zargar, is confident in its abilities as Redwood worked in partnership with the Central Marin Police Department to create the protocall. 

“The set of procedures that we have [in drills] from what we know and what we have researched are the best practices.” Zargar said. “We have done really well. Can we make improvements? I think so. But generally speaking, staff and students do a good job with the drill.”

Illustration courtesy of Julia Frankus

Despite Zargar’s belief that the current protocols in place are effective, according to a January Bark survey, 80 percent of students feel Redwood only somewhat prepared them or did not at all prepare them for a shooting.. These statistics pose an enormous issue. It is simply not enough for students to feel “somewhat prepared” for a potentially life-or-death situation. 

When students’ lives are on the line, they must feel confident and engaged in the preparation led by the school; thus, Redwood must replace the current active shooter exercise with a more effective solution known as the five-step Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter and Evacuate (ALICE) drill.

Founded by Greg Crane in 1999, ALICE was created with the purpose of a husband creating a plan for his wife to be better protected in the case of an active shooter. The first step of ALICE is “alerting” others of an active shooter, allowing anyone in the vicinity of danger to prepare for a possible encounter with the shooter. “Lockdown” requires all classrooms to close off all entry points by barricading doors using chairs and desks in the classroom. The next step is to continue to “inform” the school population. This is arguably the most important step, as staff will relay information on the situation and the threat level over loudspeakers and stay in contact with the police. The “counter” step advises students to create distractions to stop or startle the shooter if necessary. This step, however, does not suggest that the shooter should be approached or engaged, these distractions rather should come from a distance or not at all. If all prior steps have been properly followed, a safe “evacuation,” the last stage, is more likely to occur successfully. 

Some may believe the steps taken during the ALICE drill are too realistic and may escalate the student body’s fear of an active shooter or negatively affect their mental health. In a National Education Association article written by Tim Walker, it is suggested that such intense exercises are often practiced in an inconsiderate manner, leaving students in more fear of an active shooter. Although maintaining mental health should be a top priority, I value my life and the lives of those around me. I will not deny that some steps taken by schools when practicing realistic safety drills can cross the line and are easily damaging to students, such as using fake guns or fake intruders as scare tactics. These tactics will not be implemented at Redwood, rather, extra measures should be taken to protect the mental health of students while simultaneously prioritizing their life. 

Instead, safety drills should be announced to students and families beforehand thus allowing students to mentally prepare. During the active shooter exercises, students should effectively learn and practice the steps of the ALICE drill. Those involved must be able to protect themselves and others if an active shooter ever sets foot on campus. The lives of the Redwood community should be prioritized by implementing this new safety plan.