Link Crew draws students with free hot dogs

The base of the amphitheater was packed on May 3 as students of all grade levels pushed and shoved to get free hot dogs as part of Link Crew’s annual Field Day. While Field Day is usually only a freshman event,  the Link Crew class opened it up to all grades this year.

According to Link Crew member Megan Munroe, the class has been considering doing an all-class event like this all year, and plan to continue to work toward including the whole school in events.

HUNGRY STUDENTS line up across the South Lawn to receive free hot dogs from Link Crew at lunch on May 3.

“One of the things about Link Crew is that we’re still trying to figure out what our place is,” Munroe said.  “We’re debating whether we are supportive for just freshmen, or do we want to put on events for the whole school.”

Freshman Erin Gray said that she appreciated that the event was open to all grades because more of the student body was able to attend.

Although the free hot dog giveaway drove students to the South Lawn, Link Crew also offered carnival games such as face painting, a bean toss, and darts. According to Monroe, Link Crew members contributed ideas for activities and volunteered in groups to run them.

Link Crew member Kate Zeller said she credits the high attendance to the free hot dogs, but said that the various activities and opportunity to socialize kept students at the event.

“There are more people here than I thought there were going to be,” Zeller said. “I’m glad that people aren’t just getting a hot dog and leaving, because that was kind of our fear.”

Sophomore Mia Poynor said she was drawn to Field Day because she had so much fun at last year’s event, when Link Crew also offered hot dogs.

“I love these hot dogs and I love free things, and I like free hot dogs,” Poynor said.