Sophomore Mimi Wood darts toward the goal holding the ball.
Girls’ varsity lacrosse conquers Terra Linda in blowout match
Larkin MoffettMarch 26, 2024

On March 26, the girls’ varsity lacrosse team went head-to-head with Terra Linda High School (TL) in a blowout Marin County Athletic League...

Incoming juniors and seniors can simultaneously take a history course and Advanced Placement African American Studies (Photo by Lauren Poulin).
Diverse perspectives: Redwood set to launch Advanced Placement African American Studies
Emily GarciaMarch 26, 2024

Beginning in the 2024-25 school year, the Advanced Placement (AP) African American Studies course will officially be launched and offered...

Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble host final performance

Completing the year on a bittersweet note, the Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble finished their final performance last week.

On May 7, the two bands finished the year with a challenging new set in their last performance of the year.

FROM LEFT TO RIGHT, Jason Bhan, Luke Garrison, and Ian Lewitz perform with the music program in the gym on May 7.

Junior Rayna Saron, who plays the tuba for the Wind Ensemble and the trombone for the Jazz Band, said that this performance included a mix of lighthearted and intense pieces, setting it apart from the rest of their performances.

“Because it’s also a lot of seniors’ last performance in this department, I think it has a different energy from our previous ones this year,” Saron said.

Senior Alex Ehrenberg, a trumpet player and one of the student directors of band, said that this performance was really special to him because he thinks the band has evolved into a much more united ensemble.

“In the past, people were just there with their instrument playing music,” Ehrenberg said. “Now, we’re musically united.”

Junior Kate Anderson, who plays the alto saxophone, said that the major difference in this performance was the Dixieland tune, a genre of jazz, that the musicians incorporated into their performance.

“It’s really slow, mostly so you can hear chords rather than fast, impressive technical things,” Anderson said.  “It’s a really powerful emotional song, so that’s nice.”

According to Ehrenberg, band teacher John Mattern has encouraged the band to attempt a variety of pieces, including what they played in their last performance.

“What’s unique about this performance especially is Mr. Mattern has pushed us to try an extremely challenging set,” Ehrenberg said. “It’s especially brutal for the wind instruments, but it’s one of the most beautiful pieces I’ve ever played.”

Saron said that Mattern also helped Redwood’s program to try different and new pieces.

Ehrenberg said that with a new challenging piece by Clifton Williams, an award winning composer, the band has been spending a lot of time on their last performance in order to show the student body the beauty in classical music.

According to Ehrenberg, the band hasn’t had much support from the student body in the past.

“I think this performance is something that a lot of the student body would find that they liked because it’s so exciting,” Ehrenberg said.