Elsa Sherman April 22, 2024

Kellen Smith and Lucas Tempero April 21, 2024

Owen McDaniels April 21, 2024

Sports Spotlight: Perper leads diving team

After almost 10 years of competing for gymnastics and trampoline, transitioning into diving was very easy for junior Raichel Perper.

“Going into diving, I had the flipping and air sense background,” Perper said.

Perper said that compared to gymnastics, for which she trained competetively up to 25 hours a week, diving is less stressful and more enjoyable.

“Diving is a lot more low key, but still a very intense sport,” Perper said.

Raichel Perper completes a forward full twisting one and a half at a practice last month. Perper uses her talents from gymnastics and trampoline in diving.

Perper brought her experienced skill set with her when she began diving her freshman year, and quickly proved herself to be a crucial member of the team.

According to team member Adam Loo, Perper has natural talent for diving.

“She’ll explain a dive in the way she does it, which is simply, ‘I close my eyes and jump off the board,’” Loo said. “When I try to do it, I’ll slap on my back.”

Although diving is an individual sport, Perper said the swimming and diving point system allows her to also be part of a team.

“Diving is a separate event, like a 100 Fly,” Perper said. “It counts as the same amount of points, so the swim team really needs us to help win the meets.”

Perper said that for her the hardest aspect of diving is hitting the “plateau stage” and continuing to stay motivated throughout the whole season.

“You train 11 dives for the whole season,” Perper said. “After you have those 11 dives you just practice the same dives.”

Perper combats this “plateau” feeling by periodically challenging herself by learning new dives, though she knows it’s likely she’ll never compete them.

The team dynamic this year is also helping keep Perper motivated and focused. According to Perper, with five divers, the team is the largest it has been in four years, which makes practices way more fun.

“It makes the practice so much more enjoyable and funny,” Perper said.

Loo said that a lot of the positive team dynamic this year comes from having Perper as a constant member of the team.

“She is kind of the bridge between the guy team and the girl team,” Loo said. “She’s the reason we are actually talking now.”

Loo also said that as an experienced diver, Perper carries a very large leadership role on the team.

“She is always there, which is nice,” Loo said. “She is a constant that we always have.”

According to Loo, Perper helps bring the team together as a whole and makes diving easier for those who are new to the sport. And though Perper takes diving seriously, she also likes to have fun, which creates a nice balance between seriousness and humor on the team.

“She’s the one that starts the group chats, she the one that is trying to get a group hot tub going,” Loo said. “She’s a nice balance. “

Currently, Perper aism to be recruited for college diving. Perper said she isn’t sure if she wants to dive at a Division I school, but she believes diving for a Division III school would be a very good option for her.

Outside of diving, Perper is also a member of the Redwood Cheerleading team, where she can focus more on her gymnastics training.