Former coach and mentor Al-Endriss looking off into the distance
Baseball Roots Reimagined: From Players to Coaches
Reece Mori-Prange and Jack BlockApril 17, 2024

Redwood baseball is a program built to win games, award hard work and develop skills that set players up for future success. Coaches Bill Benz,...

Charlotte FishburneApril 16, 2024

Fast Thrifting: How fast fashion continues to harm thrift stores

Across the nation, billions of dollars are spent annually on clothing from local thrift stores. This eco-friendly method of clothing resale has...

Friday Night Live hosts dodgeball tournament

dodgeball
dodgeball

Last Friday, 26 teams entered the gym, each fighting for their chance at gold and a thirty dollar gift certificate. One emerged victorious, claiming the title of champion of the inaugural Friday Night Live Dodgeball Tournament.

Team Wetness, consisting of sophomores Aaron Dorfler and Devon Pence, and juniors Donovan Ahern, Bongiorno, and Joey Firenzi, won the tournament.

The winning team left with each member receiving a 30 dollar gift card to Jamba Juice, while the runner-up and “best-dressed” teams each received ten dollargift cards for every member, according to Jon Hirsch, the advisor of Friday Night Live.

Friday Night Live is a new club at Redwood this year, and is part of the California Friday Night Live Partnership, a statewide program focused on positive and healthy youth development as well as engaging youth in their communities.

According to Hirsch, the event was a success, as students came in large, enthusiastic numbers for the event.

“The buzz was amazing, people were in the stands when they were waiting for their match, and when there was a great shot, people would be erupting from the stands [shouting],” Hirsch said.

Students were also told to dress up as a team for the event, which according to Hirsch, many did.

“We had one team dressed up in suits… we had another team, the Gucci Mamas, that were all short shorts and headbands,” Hirsch said. “We had another team that was dressed up as One Direction.”

Hirsch said that the tournament was structured in a double elimination format to allow teams to stay involved, and help provide a longer activity for students to do on a Friday night.

Hirsch estimated that there were 130 students in participating in the tournament, plus a few dozen others that just watched, or viewed a screening of the film Dodgeball in the multipurpose room.