A close game between Redwood Boys Lacrosse and Mater Dei. Photo Courtesy of Blake Atkins and Mark Holmstrom
How sports scholarships transform lives
Elena Dillon and Lily BellApril 25, 2024

Nothing fuels a high school athlete’s desire for success like the possibility of earning a college scholarship. Many student-athletes work...

Illustration by Cora Champommier
Our future is not a game!
Cora ChampommierApril 25, 2024

As I walk in the hallway with my giant Redwood Soccer parka, I look up to see Sabine, a freshman who performs well in my math class; I know...

Getting a job during high school: Does it ‘work’?
Henrik VraanesApril 25, 2024

Every year, fewer and fewer students are working jobs. In 2000, 43 percent of teens worked a job during the summer, but in 2021, the number...

Varsity boys’ lacrosse overcome fellow NCS semi-finalist Monte Vista

Redwood advanced to a 2-0 record by earning a critical victory over a fellow NCS semi-finalist, Monte Vista, by a margin of 8-5 this past Saturday, Mar. 9.

Although Monte Vista (4-1) had a longer time of possession, Redwood took advantage of fast-breaks and turnovers to make for quick shifts in momentum.

“We are already starting on a higher level [than last year] considering it’s our second game and the EBAL [Monte Vista’s league] is a lot stronger than the MCAL and they are usually top two or three [in their league].”said Junior, midfielder, Jonathan Gibbs.

Redwood mostly controlled the whole game, however Monte Vista managed to score 3 goals in the last four minutes, showing some life, and making the final score much closer. This suspense died out quickly, along with any hope for a Monte Vista victory, as Redwood managed to refocus and control the ball.

“This win will start us off with a better record, get us a lot more confident but we still need to keep our heads and just play better through the fourth quarter,” Gibbs said.

The Giants feel as if the win is a statement to the rest of NCS.

“An unknown team in Marin is making a name for itself, and the rest of NCS had better watch out,” said Senior J.P. Josi, who scored four goals on the day.

Redwood will play Cardinal Newman at home on Tuesday, Mar. 12.