A look at local gun ownership

While many students have done little more than pull the triggers on plastic toy guns, some stand behind a little more firepower on a regular basis.
Gun ownership is not uncommon in Marin—or at Redwood High School. In a 2011 survey administered by the Redwood Bark, 16 percent of students reported that they personally own guns, and 24 percent have immediate family members who own them.
There are no definitive statistics on the age and number of gun owners in Marin County. Obtaining a license to carry a gun in public areas is extremely difficult, but many residents own guns that are concealed in their homes.
According to the survey, of the one in four students who reported having a gun in the family, 33 percent of those students and their families use guns for skeet, trap, or target shooting. Twenty-seven percent said the firearms were for hunting, 31 percent for self-defense and protection, and 14 percent said that their guns were for other uses.

Center Spread

There are not many laws regarding minors’ use and possession of firearms and ammunition in California. According to the National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action, as of December 2011, those under 18 in California may possess handguns only if they have written permission or are under the supervision of a parent or guardian. Minors 16 and under may only possess handguns if they accompanied by the parent or guardian while participating in and going to and from a legal recreational activity involving the firearm.
During mid-freshman year, junior Daniel Geloso borrowed his uncle’s AR-15 for a year when he was on a competitive shooting team at the Richmond Rod and Gun Club. Geloso doesn’t currently have a gun, as he gave it back to his uncle last year after he felt he’d outgrown that model.
“If people ask me if I’m into sports, I’ll say I do riflery, and I’ll put it in those letters you write to teachers,” Geloso said. “So I’m partly open with how I feel about guns.”
Although Geloso identifies as a political conservative, he knows other target shooters who are not.
“Owning a gun isn’t entirely synonymous with being Republican,” said Geloso. “I know some liberals that have guns. It’s not necessarily about politics—it’s more about self defense, maintaining your right of the Second Amendment, or if you just like guns.”
Katie Woolard said she comes from a family with an extensive passion for guns. “My dad is a huge shooter, and he was on the international air pistol team. My parents even met at a shooting match,” said Woolard, who during the interview wore a belt that said BEAR ARMS and a necklace depicting a revolver with red drops hanging off the chain. “Shooting is in my blood.”
Woolard normally practices target shooting, with pistols, once every month or two, at the Richmond Rod and Gun Club or at Bullseye, which is located in Corte Madera.
“It’s fun,” Woolard said. “My dad’s got his .45, my brother’s out there with his preferred M&P40, I got my revolver, my mom’s got her high standard or revolver, and we’re all just shooting.”
Woolard is part of a venturing crew, which is a co-ed Boy Scouts shooting group, and her preferred gun is a .357 revolver with a .38 special load. To legally own the gun—as is the standard procedure for shotguns, rifles, and pistols—Woolard had to take a firearm safety test, get the gun registered, and wait for 10 days.
“I know there are a lot of people that are uncomfortable talking about whether or not they have guns in the house or in the family,” Woolard said. “But I think there are far more of them at Redwood than they say,” Woolard said.
Senior Nick Patten owns a Benell Supernova .12 gauge shotgun for a different reason—hunting. About once a week, Patten and his friends go duck hunting. Recently, at Grizzly Island, Patten shot four ducks.
“You shoot them, and then you clean and cook them,” Patten said. “It’s nice to have the consciousness of yourself. If you buy it at a store, you don’t know where it comes from.”
Patten’s gun is technically registered in his mother’s name. To have it legally under his name, he’ll have to undergo a background check and a wait for 10 days.
According to a recent New York Times article, the gun industry spends millions of dollars on advertising and encouraging children to get involved in recreational shooting. Campaigns targeted towards “junior shooters” include giving guns and ammunition to youth groups, creating target-shooting based video games, and advertising firearms specifically for children and teenagers.
Woolard said that people in Marin are buying more guns and ammunition now in case future laws might restrict their purchases.
“It’s a lot of security, and reassurance that you have these things in your possession,” said Woolard. “It may seem kind of out there, but I wish that in order to graduate, you need to take a gun safety class. Fear of an object is never a good thing, and it creates a lot of animosity towards them.”