A close game between Redwood Boys Lacrosse and Mater Dei. Photo Courtesy of Blake Atkins and Mark Holmstrom
How sports scholarships transform lives
Elena Dillon and Lily BellApril 25, 2024

Nothing fuels a high school athlete’s desire for success like the possibility of earning a college scholarship. Many student-athletes work...

Illustration by Cora Champommier
Our future is not a game!
Cora ChampommierApril 25, 2024

As I walk in the hallway with my giant Redwood Soccer parka, I look up to see Sabine, a freshman who performs well in my math class; I know...

Illustration by Lauren Olsen
Getting a job during high school: Does it ‘work’?
Henrik VraanesApril 25, 2024

Every year, fewer and fewer students are working jobs. In 2000, 43 percent of teens worked a job during the summer, but in 2021, the number...

Boys’ varsity lacrosse advance to MCAL championship after win against Tam

On May 2, the Redwood boys’ varsity lacrosse team (10-0) defeated Tamalpais High School (6-3) 14-2 in the semi-finals of the MCAL playoffs. Despite Tam scoring in the early minutes of the game, the Giants took an early lead and never looked back. The top seeded Giants are set to play in the MCAL championship this Saturday, May 5 in an MCAL title game rematch vs. Marin Catholic

Standing on the sideline, the Giants support their teammates
Standing on the sideline, the Giants support their teammates.

where they look to defend their crown.

Redwood came out of the gates hot, as early goals were scored by juniors Harri Hetrick and Nathaniel Kuffner to take a 2-0 lead early in the first quarter. Tam responded late in the period with a goal from freshman defender Blair Weiss to trim the lead 2-1, the closest score throughout the whole game. Hetrick closed the first quarter scoring two more goals for the Giants to grab a 4-1 lead. Hetrick lead the Giants offensively with four goals and two assists.

Junior Jack Parsons defends his opponent
Junior Jack Parsons defends his opponent.

“My teammates were spreading the field open, giving myself the opportunity to get a bunch of good looks. It was my job to go capitalize on those shots that my teammates opened up for me,” Hetrick said.

Despite conceding a goal in the first quarter, the Giants played tight defense throughout the game, giving up only two goals and limiting Tam to very few opportunities. The Giants’ defenders played lockdown defense with contributions from juniors Jack Parsons and Nathaniel Kuffner as well as sophomore Max Ross. Ross was pleased with the way the Giants managed to slow down the Tam offense.

“We really packed the middle of the field and our slides were great today. We put a lot of pressure on them and forced a bunch of turnovers,” Ross said.

Entering the second quarter, Redwood was rolling with momentum and carried it throughout the whole game. After Tam’s first goal, the Giants went on a 12-0 run before Tam scored their only other goal in the final seconds of the game. Senior Brendan Hackett finished with three goals, and junior Zach Thoma chipped in with two, helping lead the way for the Giants.

Running past his defender, junior Zach Toma looks to attack the goal
Running past his defender, junior Zach Thoma looks to push the offense.

Redwood will play Marin Catholic for the MCAL championship this Saturday, May 5 at 4 p.m. at Novato High School. Redwood has already played Marin Catholic this year, defeating them 8-7 in the regular season. This will be the fourth straight Redwood-Marin Catholic MCAL title game. Junior midfielder Luke Elders has played the past three and is looking forward to defending their title.

“I’m excited, we took them down last year, they took us down the year before, so this will be the tiebreaker for me. They’re a very good team with a lot of talent so it should be a great game as usual,” Elders said.