Boys’ JV lacrosse brings home win over Marin Catholic

Stormy clouds filled the sky over a damp turf field, however, this didn’t stop Redwood’s JV lacrosse team from securing a victory against rival Marin Catholic (MC) on March 21. Redwood’s JV lacrosse team took home the win 7-2.

Despite a slow start for both the Giants and the Wildcats, Redwood sophomore George Christen scored the first goal of the game with an assist from freshman Luke Campodonico. Shortly after, MC responded with a goal, tying the game 1-1.

Two minutes into the second quarter, Christen and Campodonico connected again, punching in another goal to take the lead, this time Campodonico receiving the assist from Christen.

Freshman Charlie Morse hustles down the field after a steal
Freshman Charlie Morse hustles down the field after a steal.

Throughout the second quarter, Redwood’s defense was on lockdown holding MC’s offense to only two shots. Sophomore defenders Sam Abbott, Peter Johnson, and Max Ross were a significant part to the success of the defense, each stealing the ball from an MC player. Sophomore goalie Quentin Carrel was also successful in saving the two shots, maintaining the 2-1 lead going into the third quarter.

Four minutes into the third quarter, Redwood’s offense went on a streak by attacking their opponent’s defense and dodging defenders left and right. As a result, three goals were made by sophomores Evan Stephens, Bennett Vasquez and junior Paris Dong, pushing the lead to 6-1 in favor of Redwood.

According to assistant coach Jordan Hunnell, their offense was playing the best it had ever played before.

“We kept the ball off the ground and made clean passes. For the past two months, our offense has been shaky, but today it really clicked. We played as a team and that is why we were so successful,” Hunnell said.

Redwood scored seven out of their eleven shots, a 64 percent success rate, one more goal than their average for the season.

Redwood gathers as a team after the win
Redwood gathers as a team after the win.

In the fourth quarter, Redwood defensively stopped MC’s offense punching the ball out of offenders sticks until they scored with three minutes left in the game. In the very last seconds, freshman Charlie Moser scored, giving Redwood a 7-2 victory.

According to Christen, the root of their success was how well they worked with each other.

“I thought as a team we moved the ball around pretty well today and we had some really good looks which gave us good opportunities to make some goals,” said Christen.

The Giants hope to earn another victory at 2 p.m. on Saturday, March 24 at Acalanes High School.