Student volunteer pushes a cart full of recovered food at the San Rafael Farmers Market to contribute to ExtraFood’s goal to end food waste (Photo courtesy of ExtraFood).
ExtraFood tackles the job to end food waste and hunger since 2013
Scarlett MusgroveApril 24, 2024

Marin is the fourth wealthiest county in the Bay Area and yet a significant portion of its population is struggling with hunger, according...

Illustration by Mariel Goodhart
The importance of teaching students how to deal with sexual assault and harassment in schools
Gabrielle Franklin and Mariel GoodhartApril 24, 2024

School is meant to be a safe place for students to gain an education. Despite this, some students have been violated in unforgivable ways, in...

Face to Face: Holiday gift giving proves difficult

Face-to-Face is a feature that allows two members of the Redwood community to grill each other, argue, or simply converse about a relevant issue or event. We provide the topic, and they do the rest. This month’s participants are sophomores, who are dating,  Nicole Nevitt and LaRon Bullock.  The issue: Holiday gift giving.

nicole cutout web

Is it easier to buy gifts for guys or girls?

Nicole Nevitt: It is harder to buy for guys because guys never say what they want. When you ask them they’re like, ‘Oh, I don’t know’ or ‘Whatever.’ You never know what to get them. And girls, I feel like there’s more that you could get them. With guys, there’s so much you can go wrong with. I don’t like it!
LaRon Bullock: Are you kidding? There are so many ways you can go wrong with girls. If you get them the wrong thing and then they say they like it, they probably would not like it and they will be mad at you or something.
NN: But that can go either way!
LB: Yeah, but boys will just be happy with it.
NN: Why couldn’t girls just be happy with it?
LB: It has to be what they want. I think boys are a lot easier because for boys, they may say, ‘I don’t know, just get me whatever.’ But it’s obviously just going to be something having to do with sports or whatever they’re interested in, like video games. For girls, it can be a necklace or a ring or flowers or chocolates or whatever. There is so much more that you have to choose from. There are more ways to go wrong!
NN: Sports? That is so wide, what if it is the wrong team? Do you like all of the teams?
LB: No, I don’t.

What are the worst and best gifts you have ever received?

NN: I have gotten a pomegranate before from my grandma. Best gift…I don’t know there are so many to choose from! This kid (gestures to Bullock) gave me a necklace for our six-month. That could be the best one.
LB: My family for Christmas usually gives socks or books. One time someone got me a book about dinosaurs, and also space, even though I was not really interested in it. And the best one…she (gestures to Nevitt) got me a sippy water bottle, you know, the ones with the straws? I really wanted one of those.
NN: That was the best one ever? You’re just trying to be cute.
LB: No I’m not! Because all things I got when I was younger I thought were great but they weren’t actually.

How do you think a gift reflects upon the person you are buying it for?

LB: If I wanted to buy [Nicole] a gift I would want it to be something that people could see. Like getting something that would reflect her personality, I would have to get her a hat that said ‘sassy.’ Or maybe a shirt. I would get her a shirt that I would wear with an arrow pointing to her that said ‘I’m with sassy.’ Because she is sassy. And the necklace reflects sassy!
NN: I think it just has to represent something that they like.

If you had to get him something, what would you get him?

NN: I thought I had an extra week to think about it. I don’t know, what do you want?
LB: A water bottle.
NN: You already have one! See; ‘What do you want?’ ‘A water bottle.’ What am I supposed to do?
LB: She asked me what I wanted for our six-month anniversary and I said ‘Whatever, surprise me.’ She said is there anything in particular…
NN: See, that’s what you get, a water bottle.

What are you planning on getting her for the holiday season?

LB: Maybe like a Mariah Carey sexy costume that she can wear around the house.
NN: The house? Are we married?