Rihanna shines bright with new album

Every morning on my way to class, I jump into the car and turn the ignition on, only to be greeted by sound of Rihanna’s “Diamonds.” A once fun and catchy song, it now dominates the radio. No matter what station I turn to, all I hear is that song, and I’m chased by the ideology that “we’re like diamonds in the sky.”

However, the rest of Rihanna’s new album proves that the Barbados-born pop star’s future truly does shine bright. Fans of the singer have watched as the sassy songstress evolved from sweetly innocent to questionably masochistic. However, no matter her mood, Rihanna never disappoints, as all seven of the albums she has produced in the past seven years have topped record charts. Unapologetic, her most recent work, will undoubtedly be just as successful.

RihannaRAW

As I waited for the release of her latest album, I wondered what side of Rihanna we would next see portrayed in her music. Would she go back to the circa 2006 days of singing sappy but totally enjoyable love songs from A Girl Like Me, or were her lyrics about to get raunchier than ever? After a thorough listen, it’s evident that Unapologetic showcases what true fans love most about Rihanna – all of her.

Already rising on iTunes popularity charts is the track “Loveeeeeee Song,” featuring Future. While the rapper’s voice singing alongside Rihanna’s is highly synthesized, the two harmonize well with one another, creating beat that’s both smooth and full of attitude, and leaves you wanting more.

Even more attention-grabbing than the dominating sounds of autotune in the previous song, however, are the soft and sweet voices of the starlet alongside Mikky Ekko in “Stay.”

Together the two display a new side of Rihanna, one that feels completely honest and a little melancholy. The result is a refreshing twist that leaves the audience feeling like they understand the singer beyond the glamor of her fame.

By far the strongest track on Unapologetic is “Get it Over With,” a tune that’s both relaxing and vexing, as it incorporates the singer’s pleasant voice and a calming percussion-heavy beat with frustrated, passionate lyrics. The male background vocals play off Rihanna’s feminine voice surprisingly well.

Unapologetic does have songs that are sure to be hits, but others fall below expectations. “Phresh Out the Runway,” sounds like a playful but uneventful remake of rapper Juicy J’s “Bandz a Make Her Dance,” with incredibly similar beats and lyrics.

“I’m Going Numb” was possibly more repetitive than Justin Bieber’s “Baby,” and has the ability to induce mind-fogging migraines if listened to more than once. Even worse, Eminem decides to make an appearance at the song’s painful demise with a verse that doesn’t make any lyrical sense.

Perhaps the most confusing track on the album, titled “Nobody’s Business,” was also one of the most controversial. The song featured Chris Brown, Rihanna’s on-and-off lover, and stirred plenty of heated arguments between fans. It wasn’t previous affairs between the two stars that made me stir in my seat with discomfort, as much as it was the horrid groovy beat in the song that transported me back to visions of John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever.

Nice or notorious, Rihanna once again proves her major star-power in Unapologetic.