A close game between Redwood Boys Lacrosse and Mater Dei. Photo Courtesy of Blake Atkins and Mark Holmstrom
How sports scholarships transform lives
Elena Dillon and Lily BellApril 25, 2024

Nothing fuels a high school athlete’s desire for success like the possibility of earning a college scholarship. Many student-athletes work...

Illustration by Cora Champommier
Our future is not a game!
Cora ChampommierApril 25, 2024

As I walk in the hallway with my giant Redwood Soccer parka, I look up to see Sabine, a freshman who performs well in my math class; I know...

Getting a job during high school: Does it ‘work’?
Henrik VraanesApril 25, 2024

Every year, fewer and fewer students are working jobs. In 2000, 43 percent of teens worked a job during the summer, but in 2021, the number...

Marin Audubon Society to hold bird counts to help in conservation efforts

With winter already upon us and the cold rain setting in, few people would find going out and looking for birds enjoyable. But there are always a select few people who do.

The Marin Audubon Society is hosting its 133 Annual Christmas Bird Count this month in multiple areas across Marin County. This event was originally created to help asses the well-being of the local bird population.

The Audubon Society is sponsoring three events/counts this year: Southern Marin Christmas Bird Count (CBC), taking place on Dec. 29, Cheep Thrills on Dec. 20, and Point Reyes on Dec 15. There is no charge to register for the event, and anyone who is interested is invited to come.

The Audubon Society uses the information collected through the wildlife census to help people take part in conservation and to help spread the word about environmental protection, as well as inspiring volunteers to learn about environmental protection.

In the 2009 bird count, the Marin Audubon recorded 186 different species of birds, including various ducks, geese, herons, and egrets. Over 70,000 birds were counted and observed.

Audubon societies across the country are involved in this event. The data from all of these counts combined will go into a national database for wildlife and bird well-being.

For those who wish to participate, no materials are necessary, although binoculars, a notepad, and a pencil are recommended .

The Audubon Society has information posted at http://www.marinaudubon.org/christmas-bird-count.php for information and how to register.