Avocadon’t miss out: a toast to the best toast in the Bay Area

What was once a health guru’s recipe has turned into your neighborhood restaurant’s most popular item. Avocado toast is the new kale chips, a healthy snack that is popular among Marin residents. However, the overwhelming availability can be daunting. Bark set out on a mission to find the best avocado toast in the Bay Area, narrowing down the selection for our readers. We went to The Plant Cafe, Seed & Salt, M.H. Bread & Butter and Frog Hollow, reviewing the food based on quality, flavor and affordability.

RATED FIVE STARS, M.H. Bread and Butter avocado toast had an addictive taste with an optimal amount of salt mixed into the blend.

3/5

Located on Chestnut Street in San Francisco, Seed & Salt is a quick 20-minute drive from Redwood. The avocado toast lacked gluten and GMOs, but it also lacked taste. For $4.50, the quality was average and nothing special. The avocado was not fresh and was devoid of flavor. In addition, the toast was missing salt and pepper which would have brought more taste to the avocado. However, for spice-lovers, the chimichurri topping gave it a strong kick, almost too strong for a typical eater. The bread had a good texture, but overall the toast did not live up to my expectations.

4/5

Located in Strawberry Village, The Plant Cafe is easily accessible right off the highway and offers a variety of choices for vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike. Two pieces of avocado toast, priced at $6.00, left me feeling satisfied as though I had eaten a complete meal. The arugula topping was an appetizing addition that added a vibrant and strong flavor. Combined with a lemon dressing, the toast had an uncommon zesty flavor. The strong flavors were enhanced by the dried garlic and sprinkled sesame seeds, which added spice to every bite. The Plant offers an avocado toast that is unforgettable and worth every penny.

4/5

Nestled in the San Francisco Ferry Building, Frog Hollow is a fruit stand which also serves snacks. These pieces of toast were the largest, but so was the price: $7.50 for one piece of avocado toast and $12 for two. The avocado was layered nicely, resulting in an appealing presentation, but the flavor was mediocre, as there was not enough oil on the toast to balance the salt and pepper on top. The baguette was well-toasted, giving it a crispy taste and serving as a solid base for the avocado. However, the taste was ordinary and there was nothing unique about this avocado toast.

5/5

M.H. Bread & Butter, tucked in downtown San Anselmo, supplies an avocado toast that is a true gem. The avocado was fresh and appetizing, but the bread was the highlight of the whole experience. The crust was crispy while the center stayed soft and fluffy, resulting in a pleasant texture and flavor. The avocado is mixed with the optimal amount of salt, giving it an addictive taste. The two pieces of toast weren a perfect mid-day snack. For $5, this avocado toast is highly recommended.