Volunteers put the wheels in motion for new gravity trail

An enthusiastic group of Norcal High School Mountain Biking League competitors and coaches commenced commenced work on a project that aims to revamp two existing trails and build a new trail at Fairfax’s Camp Tamarancho.

Located off of Tamarancho’s B-17 trails, As a “gravity” trail, the new trail is primarily downhill and allows riders to use natural contortions in the land to control their speed instead of relying on their brakes. The trail will also feature banked turns, jumps, and technical skill sections.

“Today, the goal was to build a trail that everyone can use for years to come,” said freshman Matt Koen, who was among about 20 volunteers who helped build on Redwood’s allotted day to volunteer last sunday. Redwood’s team was the first to pitch in on the project, but other local teams are planning on joining the efforts in upcoming weeks.

Team coach John Vipiana, who is also Chair of the Offroad Committee for the Marin County Bicycle Coalition and a coordinator for the project, said his key role is providing resources, namely manpower in the form of high school riders, for the trail building. However, riders didn’t need much encouragement to join the effort.

“They were stoked, totally into it,” Vipiana said. “When they heard it was going to be a gravity line and a skills trail, they were totally fired up and ready to go. Some of the kids build some on their own, and when they saw how much we got done in one day they were very impressed.”

According to junior Adam Loo, building these trails is one way in which members of the mountain biking community choose to give back.

“The whole idea behind it is that we’re all collectively using this one great resource that is Mt. Tam,” Loo said. “The whole thing about the Redwood mountain bike team and the other high school leagues is that we’ve turned it into a sport, and we use the trails just as volleyball uses the gym. We feel it’s like our job. Like a volleyball team sweeps the gym, we keep the mountain clean.”

Vipiana said one of the Redwood team’s core values is altruism.

“This is an example of being selfless,” Vipiana said. “Giving back to your bike community, giving up a day of riding to build something for your team and for the biking community.”

According to senior Sam Redman, the group is planning on revamping the existing B-17 and B-17 extension trails in addition to erecting a third, slightly more advanced trail.
Loo said the trail work conducted by Redwood’s team included adding rain drainage, constructing banked turns using berms, clearing land, and moving soluble soil.

“My team was in charge of making a berm, kind of out of nothing,” Loo said. “We ended the trail a little short, bermed it, and destroyed the rest of the trail. We had to get good, soluble dirt from the old trail to make the berm, so we were in charge of digging up soil, clearing a bunch of land, and basically sandcastling a giant berm with all of the dirt we had. After that, we went over the whole trail, rescraped it, and then pounded it down again so it was super solid.”

For one section, the group had to haul pieces of a fallen redwood tree from the valley of Tamarancho up to the site of the build.

“One of the guys brought a chainsaw and they cut it up into a bunch of logs that we’re going to use to make a skill section,” Loo said. “So we’re going to set up a bunch of logs and little stunts that people can ride over or jump over, just for fun. A little bike theme park.”

This new trail will eventually measure three quarters of a mile and Redman said that if the group keeps up the pace, it could be completed around January, just in time for the heavy rain season.

The group of trail workers was comprised of riders of varying abilities and levels of experience. Some, like Loo, had worked on trails before, while others, such as freshmen riders Koen and Campbell Nolan, relied on guidance from veteran trail-builders.

Koen said that after aiding the construction efforts, he feels like a member of the larger mountain biking community.

“I feel like a part of it now. Everyone is really nice and supportive. Riding to the trail that we were going to build was really fun, and you just kind of feel part of the team now,” Koen said.

Nolan said that the biking community is one that enjoys giving back, especially in a place as well-known as Camp Tamarancho.

“Tamarancho is a really popular spot. It’s one of the rare places where it’s actually legal to build at, so everyone really wants to help if they’re allowed to,” Nolan said. “I’ve been into biking for about a year now, but with the mountain biking team it’s really nice because all of us who have a passion for mountain biking get to come together and do what we love as a team.”

Vipiana said he plans to recruit other local high school teams to the construction project as well.

“I think we’ll get every school involved,” he said. “Because when the other schools hear about the Redwood riders had, I think they’ll all want to get involved too.”