The Impact of the potential ‘NO’ on Measure A
Emily Hitchcock, Web Designer • March 28, 2024

The end game: fall sports wrap-up

The girls’ tennis team advanced deep into the MCAL playoffs and made the NCS playoffs.
Players from the team advanced to the MCAL semifinals, but none were able to make it to the  finals.
They finished tied for second place in regular season standings with Branson, with a record of 12-2, which was  one game worse than Tam’s.
Overall, then team finished 17-7 which qualified them for the NCS tournament as the sixth seed in the Division I bracket.
Their NCS tournament opener was against the 11 seed, Mission San Jose, a match in which they won.
They moved on to play against third seeded James Logan High School, a match which they won by a score of 5-2.
Tam ended their season in the NCS semifinals.
The team’s top six rated players are seniors Maddie Bell and Sophia Hooper, sophomore Keiko Kamei, freshman Lauren Wolfe, juniors Kelly Klein and Christina Canady.

MADDIE BELL HITS the ball during an MCAL playoff match for Redwood. The girls’ tennis team was the sixth seed in the Division II bracket for NCS.

Following a NCS Division II title last year, the varsity girls’ volleyball team came into this year with big shoes to fill.
They are well on their way after qualifying for the NCS tournament as the number one overall seed for the first time since 2006.
Qualifying as the number one seed secured the team a first round bye in the tournament.
Their first contest was Nov. 10 against eighth seeded Newark Memorial. They won by a score of three games to one to advance to the next round against fourth seeded Las Lomas High School, who beat them 3 games to two.
In the MCAL season, the team finished in second place with a 12-3 record, trailing only the undefeated Branson team.
In the MCAL tournament, they advanced with wins over Marin Catholic and Tam only to fall short in the finals against Branson.
The team leaders in points during the regular season were sophomore Bailey Osborn with 279 and junior Sophie DiGrazia with 267.

The varsity football team concluded its very disappointing season with a 54-14 loss to San Marin on Nov. 3.The loss dropped the team’s final record to 1-7 in MCAL and 1-9 overall, placing Redwood seventh out of eight teams.
Despite the poor season, a few players ranked among the best in MCAL statistically.
Brian Hunca was eighth with 419 receiving yards and tied for third in touchdown receptions with five.
Junior running back Khari Haynes finished sixth in rushing yards with 536 and fifth in rushing touchdowns with six.
The varsity team scored the second fewest points in MCAL while giving up the second most.
“The team as a whole should have been together like a family,” Haynes said. “We should have been pushing each other to the point where we all want to succeed with each other.”
The team’s only victory came against San Rafael on Sept. 14 as they crushed the Bulldogs 53-6.
“It was a terrible feeling but we can learn from it next year,” said Haynes.

RYLAND BURKE RUNS to catch a pass during Redwood’s 6-0 loss to Terra Linda. The team finished the year with a 1-9 overall record.