A close game between Redwood Boys Lacrosse and Mater Dei. Photo Courtesy of Blake Atkins and Mark Holmstrom
How sports scholarships transform lives
Elena Dillon and Lily BellApril 25, 2024

Nothing fuels a high school athlete’s desire for success like the possibility of earning a college scholarship. Many student-athletes work...

Illustration by Cora Champommier
Our future is not a game!
Cora ChampommierApril 25, 2024

As I walk in the hallway with my giant Redwood Soccer parka, I look up to see Sabine, a freshman who performs well in my math class; I know...

Illustration by Lauren Olsen
Getting a job during high school: Does it ‘work’?
Henrik VraanesApril 25, 2024

Every year, fewer and fewer students are working jobs. In 2000, 43 percent of teens worked a job during the summer, but in 2021, the number...

Life is fleeting: appreciate each day

We often overlook the importance of family and don’t fully appreciate how much they support us.
It wasn’t until last year that I learned how quickly something like that can be taken away from you.
My father was diagnosed with cancer.
Although doctors found it early enough treat, I was still shocked by the diagnosis.
I have always considered my father to be a role model and a guide in my life.  It had never crossed my mind that something like that could happen so suddenly.
Watching someone as influential in my life as my father go through something as painful as chemotherapy was a wakeup call to start appreciating every person and every moment like it’s my  last – because in such an unpredictable world, it very well could be.
I was lucky to learn this lesson without having to lose someone close to me.
A close friend of mind lost her father to a sudden heart attack when she was eight years old.
He was a runner and an influential member of the community – a role model to both his children and his peers.
At such a young age, that kind of sudden loss could have been nothing less than devastating.  However, she never let that loss get the better of her.
Inspired by her father, she was determined to become a great runner.
Through countless hours of training and hard work, she was able to turn what must have been one of the hardest moments in her life into inspiration to set high goals that would eventually help her achieve greatness.
It does not surprise me that she is consistently the top finisher among female racers in MCAL cross country meets, as well as in high-caliber races such as the Dipsea.
Many people have experiences similar to hers or my own in which they see first-hand how unpredictable life can be.  My experience encouraged me to live more in the moment and to make others around me aware of how grateful I am for their support.
It made me value not just people but also other aspects of life that change with time.
The world changes every day and many of the things we take for granted now won’t be around in the future.
One thing I realized I needed to start appreciating more was how much freedom I have as a teenager.
I realized that in only a few years, I will be an adult.
People will expect more from me and I will have more responsibilities and less time to do what I want to do.
It’s important to appreciate the advantages of being a     kid while you still can because before you know it, that freedom will be gone.
Not only did I begin to acknowledge the things that weren’t timeless, I also began to appreciate what others do for me as much as I can.
I hadn’t thanked my mother enough for the countless hours she put into organizing my schedules and setting up my appointments and giving me rides to baseball practice when I was little.
It used to be an expectation that she would help me out, but then I realized that if something were to happen and I never saw her again, I never had made it clear to her how thankful I really was.
It’s important to acknowledge what you have before it’s gone.
I promise you when you’re 90 years old, you won’t remember the day you stayed home to watch TV.
You shouldn’t have to wait until you experience something traumatic to see how short life is.
Seize every moment and take advantage of all that life has to offer before it disappears.
Who knows, the world is supposed to be ending next month, right?