Survey indicates high drinking rate

Although Marin County is known for its statistically high rates of binge drinking, the trend continues, according to the recently released results of the California Healthy Kids Survey.

The administration of the CHKS, which is a survey administered statewide to measure the attitudes and behaviors of students in the 9th and 11th grades, is required in all California public schools to comply with the No Child Left Behind Act.

The 2011 survey results are very similar to those from 2009 results, with most statistics varying by only no more than a few percentage points.

However, the Tam District’s reported drinking rates are significantly higher than state averages.

Forty-six percent of Redwood juniors report having had at least one drink in the last 30 days, and 35 percent report having binge drank (consumed five or more drinks in a row) in the last month. The statewide rates for these statistics are comparatively much lower, at 33 percent and 22 percent respectively.

Additionally, 30 percent of Redwood juniors report having driven drunk or been in a car with a drunk driver. Nine percent report having done this more than three times.

In another measure of the prevalence of alcohol in school communities, 28 percent of juniors report having been drunk or high on school property, and 7 percent report having done so seven or more times.

Despite these numbers, 73 percent of this demographic report having talked to their parents about the dangers of alcohol and drug use.

Tamaplais High has abuse rates that are approximately 9 percentage points higher in almost every category, including the frequency of alcohol use in the past 30 days, the amount of times ever having gotten very drunk or sick after consuming alcohol, and the amount of times having been offered drugs on school property.

According to superintendent Laurie Kimbrel, district officials are concerned about the apparent rise in drinking rates seen in students between their freshman and junior years.

“The number from freshman year is relatively low – still higher than we want them to be, but relatively low,” Kimbrel said. “Then junior year, they’re disturbingly high.”

Statewide, the number of juniors who reported drinking 3-9 days in the last month is only four percent higher than the number of freshmen who report the same thing. However, in the Tam District however, there is a 16 percent difference between freshmen and juniors.

Kimbrel said she sees high rates of alcohol consumption in the TUHSD as more than just a school wide problem.

“I don’t see these as just school issues, they’re family, community and school issues that we all share,” Kimbrel said.