Molly GallagherApril 18, 2024

Emma Rosenberg and Penelope TrottApril 18, 2024

Illustration by Zach Dinowitz
Endless screentime: The cost of social media platforms ignoring teenagers’ wellbeing

For as long as I can remember, I’ve had a phone in my pocket with some type of social media platform downloaded, whether it was TikTok, Snapchat...

Local Election Results

For the first time in over 20 years, Marin has a new congressman.

In the election to represent California District 2, which includes Marin and 5 other counties, Democrat Jared Huffman defeated Republican candidate Dan Roberts. This is the 38th consecutive year that a Democrat will be representing Marin.

Proposition 30 passed, which will temporarily increase sales taxes from 7.25 percent to 7.5 percent. As a result of this proposition passing, funding will stay the same for education in California.

Another notable proposition that passed was Proposition 36, which will modify the Three Strikes Law. Before, a person who committed three felonies would have to serve life in prison. Now, if someone commits a third felony that is not violent or serious, it is not necessarily a life sentence.

Some propositions didn’t pass, such as Proposition 34, which would have repealed the death penalty. The death penalty will remain in place in California.

Another proposition that didn’t pass was Proposition 37, which was the Mandatory Labeling of Genetically Engineered Food. Because it didn’t pass, companies will not have to label certain items as genetically modified.