Kellen Smith and Lucas TemperoApril 21, 2024

Owen McDanielsApril 21, 2024

Redwood opens season with win over Mt. Eden behind Calzaretta’s big day

If one game can predict a season, Giants football is back.

Led by senior running back Nick Calzaretta, Redwood’s offense ran rampant over Mt. Eden, winning 44-29 in Redwood’s home opener on Saturday.

Calzaretta exploded for 217 yards on just 27 carries, while finding the end zone five times. One of those runs was a 55-yard touchdown sprint with a convoy of Redwood uniforms around him.

“I was just running, I saw Alex Wilson in front of me and I just put on Turkey mode,” Calzaretta said. 

Senior Nick Calzaretta goes ‘Turkey Mode’ through the pile.

The longest run of the game, however, came from the Redwood defense. After being out for the majority of last season with a knee injury, senior Jax Farrell-Martin recovered a fumble and returned it 89 yards to paydirt. 

“It felt good to be out there with my family and be able to make a difference to help us get the win,” Farrell-Martin said. “As soon as I picked it up I had my eyes set on going all the way.”

The Monarchs did have a few bright spots, blocking an extra point in the first quarter and intercepting an errant throw from senior quarterback Trevor Foehr and returning it for a touchdown.

Senior Trevor Foehr rolls out of the pocket for a five yard gain and a first down.

Despite the early mistake,  Foehr looked comfortable under center. His interception was one of just two incompletions in 10 attempts, and he threw for 55 yards, while also rushing for five yards to pick up a first down early in the game after a play action pass broke down. 

A key moment of the game came when Calzaretta collided hard with a Mt. Eden defender, who came up celebrating. Calzaretta responded in typical fashion, evading the same defender’s tackle en route to his second longest touchdown run of the game, a 33-yard pick up.

“It felt great,” Calzaretta said. “I just gave him what he deserved. I couldn’t have done it without the guys in front of me, though.” https://vimeo.com/180810774

Although Mt. Eden is not an MCAL opponent, they are in the same NCS division as the Giants.

“You win opening week and against a division opponent, so for postseason that helps us out big time too,” head coach Allen Talley said. “We only play against two division opponents because we’re the biggest school in the league. So for us, getting a win under our belt helps us out for seeding when playoffs come in November.”

Redwood plays next at Maria Carillo this Friday.