Boys’ volleyball seeks the elusive pennant

The boys’ volleyball team is looking forward to a promising season, determined that this will be the year they win a long-awaited MCAL title.

After finishing in second place behind Drake for the past two years in MCAL, the players are hopeful that with a solid returning group and promising new underclassmen, the league title is theirs this year.

With the team’s past success, the Giants’ primary objective this season will be to win the MCAL Championship and advance further into NCS, according to Coach Tahan Minakov. The Giants placed fifth in their section division last season.

“We don’t really have much room to improve, because we have made it to the MCAL finals for the past two years. Our goal now is to win,” Minakov said.

Drake has been undefeated in the league for the past four years and has won the past six MCAL titles. With the loss of two of Drake’s key players, Owen Karlenzig and Jack Parnell-Wolf, Redwood senior outside hitter Ryan Mishoe is confident it will give Drake competition in MCAL.

However, Redwood does not see Drake as its only competitor. Both Minakov and Mishoe said that along with the team’s historic rival, Marin Catholic poses a threat as one of its stiffer competitors.

Coach Tahan Minakov watches as junior Andrew Lupario hits the ball during a drill.

“This year I really think MC is the team to beat,” Mishoe said. “They have two juniors, Dempsey Roggenbuck and Sam Newsome, who I played club with, and senior Nick Biale. They are all really experienced players.”

The Redwood team has a strong group of veteran players and a large number of new athletes who are looking forward to further advancing their performance, according to Minakov.

“We have a good core group of returners, so we should pick up where we left off last year and keep improving,” Minakov said.

Minakov said that juniors Brendan Winters, Andrew Lupario and Max Josef are stepping up their game on the court and as leaders on the team to make up for the loss of last year’s seniors.

“We are losing five seniors from last year’s team, so there will be a new atmosphere with different guys on the court,” Minakov said. “I expect a lot of the guys that didn’t see the court last year to step in and fill in those holes.”

Last year’s captains were among the graduating seniors, leaving opportunity for new players to occupy these titles, according to Mishoe. Junior libero Andrew Lupario also voiced this opinion.

“Captains Jacob Zazzeron and Geffen [Hochschild] had really positive attitudes that motivated the team,” Lupario said. “I think that new people will step up to fill their roles.”

Nate Orwig and Ryan Mishoe are Redwood’s only returning seniors.

“Nate has always been a natural leader on the floor. He is very supportive, talented, and calm-headed,” Mishoe said.

Last year Orwig completed the season with a total of 18 aces, 14 blocks, and 188 kills.

“Nate Orwig, who is going to be a four-year senior, will probably be a leader of the team as far as kills and stats,” Minakov said.

The Giants are evolving and welcoming many new players and with the loss of the seniors comes a new generation of exceptionally seasoned underclassmen, according to Mishoe.

The team’s first game will be Tuesday March 8, at 5 p.m. at Marin Catholic.