Molly GallagherApril 18, 2024

Emma Rosenberg and Penelope TrottApril 18, 2024

Richard ByrneApril 18, 2024

Girls’ varsity basketball suffers preseason loss

The Alameda Hornets came out stinging Tuesday night, racking up 12 unanswered points in the first 4 minutes and dominating throughout the game in a 54-34 preseason victory over the Giants.

Although the Giants eventually closed the initial gap down to six points, the deficit was never overcome—Alameda was able to hold the lead for the entirety of the matchup.

Head coach Diane Peterson discusses strategy with players during a timeout on Tuesday, Dec. 1.

In preparation for the game, the Giants worked on technical offensive strategies including new plays and skills to spread out the opposing defense. After four quarters of frequent turnovers and missed shots, adjustments are required for the Giants in order to achieve a successful regular season and have any shot at the playoffs.

As the Hornets picked up momentum in the first half, Redwood struggled to gain traction. Mistakes increased as the Giants attempted to catch up, as forced passes and rushed shots allowed the Hornets to maintain possession for the majority of the half. At the end of the first two quarters, the scoreboard read 16-27 in favor of the Hornets.

Emerging from the varsity locker room with new energy, the Giants provided a glimmer of hope in the form of a third quarter rally. Redwood was hot on the heels of Alameda, closing the gap to 21-29 in the beginning of the third quarter.

However, Alameda countered aggressively, dominating the fourth quarter with superior passing and shooting. Senior Carli Jacks was visibly frustrated as she made her way to the sideline after being substituted, donning facial expressions similar to the rest of Redwood’s starting five.

Though it was a difficult preseason loss for Redwood’s varsity girls basketball team, head coach Diane Peterson did not express concern, citing the 24 games left before playoffs as ample time to prepare. The Giants will be playing next in a three day tournament hosted by Marin Catholic, Dec. 3 through Dec. 5.