Nina Howard March 28, 2024

Larkin Moffett March 26, 2024

Emily Garcia March 26, 2024

Senior Girls dominate Powderpuff Football game

The junior Powderpuff team went into Friday’s Powderpuff Football Game with high expectations and lots of lofty talk.

They left humbled as the senior girls dominated from beginning to end on their way to a 19-0 win in the culminating event of Homecoming Week.

The seniors took control on their first possession, with running back Olivia Kontinnen storming into the end zone after the offense marched down the field behind the running of Ali Pieri and Brady Jackson. Jackson also scored a touchdown and had an interception on the day.

The junior Powderpuff team lost 19-0 to the senior team, but will have the chance to win next year when they play the class of 2015.

However, on the juniors’ first possession, quarterback Kat Grellman completed a long pass to a diving Chace Schornstein before completing another pass to Sally Elton to put the juniors into scoring position. That was the last time the juniors threatened all day.

Grellman lofted her next pass deep into the end zone where senior Bridget Kontinnen battled with a pair of junior receivers before coming down with an interception to end the junior threat.

From that point on, it was all about the senior team, playing in their second and last Powderpuff game. Last year, the team suffered a disappointing loss after taking an early lead.

A minor scuffle derailed an otherwise clean, but hard-fought game when a senior girl went after a junior player. The two players were escorted off the field by Principal David Sondheim, but will face no other consequences.

The game continued and there was no looking back for the senior team as Kontinnen and Brady scored on long runs and the senior defense stifled the junior offense.