‘Rising Stars’ shine at Youth in Arts Gallery
Elsa ShermanApril 22, 2024

From Feb. 10 through April 12, Youth in Arts held the 33rd Annual Marin County High School Art Show, known as Rising Stars. The exhibition...

Illustrated by Cora Champommier
No one likes a damp diamond: How rain delays throw baseball a curveball
Kellen Smith and Lucas TemperoApril 21, 2024

Some sports depend on the weather, but none as much as baseball due to the atmosphere around the game. As America’s pastime, baseball is...

Bliss: Marin’s first soft-serve shop dedicated to Asian-inspired ice cream
Owen McDanielsApril 21, 2024

Located in Novato’s San Marin Plaza, Bliss Ice Cream is one of Marin’s most unique dessert joints. Customers can enjoy koi fish-shaped...

My brother: a political commentary

On Tuesday night, conservative social and political commentator Ann Coulter posted the following to her Twitter: “I highly approve of Romney’s decision to be kind and gentle to the retard.” In response, reporter Alex Herz writes about his brother.

He often stands at a crooked angle: two hands crossed in front, head cocked slightly to the side, an eye drooping. The glasses atop his miniscule nose drape lethargically over its crook, held in place only by the sturdiness of his rugged ears and scrunched skin. He might wear a pair of loosely-fit khaki shorts; a Spiderman t-shirt will almost always tightly hug his thick shoulders and protruding chest.And he will always wear a fresh pair of patterned tighty whities.

People will often stare. They try not to most of the time, but it’s difficult. And natural. They might say he has funny eyes, or that his nose looks a little flat. They sometimes say his arms and legs are too short.  Most simply say he’s “different.”

He loves to tell people his name. Griffin. “G-R-I-F-F-I-N,” he’ll add for good measure. They’re impressed. Why shouldn’t they be?

He’s 11. He loves to tell people that too. He also has two dogs, Moose and Ajax, and a fish named Batman. Or maybe Spongebob. Or maybe Buster Posey. They eat it up.

He sometimes mentions he has an older sister, too. That’s Jenna. Occasionally he’ll mention he has an older brother. That’s me. He calls me “big bro.” I call him “Grif.” He hates it.

He loves music. Big Time Rush is his favorite band, and his favorite song is “I Wanna be Famous.” He knows all the lyrics. Every word.

He plays soccer in the fall and basketball in winter. The other kids are getting too fast for him, but he still loves it. He’s never scored a goal. He doesn’t care.

He knows he has Down syndrome. I don’t think he knows what it means. I don’t think it matters.

He once told me he wanted to be a football player when he grows up. I told him football players have to be mean and tough. He told me he didn’t want to hurt anybody.

I think it’s too late for someone like Ann Coulter to understand. I hope, however, that you do.