A close game between Redwood Boys Lacrosse and Mater Dei. Photo Courtesy of Blake Atkins and Mark Holmstrom
How sports scholarships transform lives
Elena Dillon and Lily BellApril 25, 2024

Nothing fuels a high school athlete’s desire for success like the possibility of earning a college scholarship. Many student-athletes work...

Illustration by Cora Champommier
Our future is not a game!
Cora ChampommierApril 25, 2024

As I walk in the hallway with my giant Redwood Soccer parka, I look up to see Sabine, a freshman who performs well in my math class; I know...

Illustration by Lauren Olsen
Getting a job during high school: Does it ‘work’?
Henrik VraanesApril 25, 2024

Every year, fewer and fewer students are working jobs. In 2000, 43 percent of teens worked a job during the summer, but in 2021, the number...

Freshman-sophomore football ends season with loss against Marin Catholic

The freshman-sophomore football team suffered a defeat on Saturday, finishing its season with a 16-0 loss against rival Marin Catholic.

The Giants fell short because their offensive line struggled to compete with Marin Catholic’s rushing defense, which prevented the team from getting into scoring position.

Sophomore fullback Luigi Andrade runs for the first down.

The loss ended Redwood’s season with a 3-6-1 overall record and a 3-4 record in MCAL.

The first quarter was slow for both teams as neither scored. Freshman James Humphreys had several tackles and Redwood’s offense ran to several first downs.

Marin Catholic scored a 53-yard running touchdown short into the second quarter. The touchdown was followed by a successful PAT block by Redwood that kept the team hopeful.

Even with several more tackles from Humphreys and rushing yards from freshman running back Alex Aguero, Redwood failed to score and Marin Catholic scored its second touchdown.

Marin Catholic returned offensively after its second touchdown with a squib kick to Redwood. The kick put Redwood on its own 4-yard line, a dangerous position.

A safety was scored shortly after by Marin Catholic when they blocked Redwood’s defensive punt. At the end of the first half Redwood was down 16-0.

“We’re still in this game. We just need to take one thing at a time,” said coach Jeff Wong after a scoreless third quarter.  

Both teams competed hard in the second half but several penalties and the inability to get within scoring range led to a scoreless second half.