Freshman-sophomore football powers through to its third victory

The freshman-sophomore football team protected their home field with a 32-7 win against San Rafael on Saturday.

Redwood’s conservative and coordinated defense held back San Rafael’s offense and created many scoring opportunities.

Sophomore Luigi Andrade runs the football while being pursued by San Rafael defense.
Sophomore Luigi Andrade runs the football while being pursued by San Rafael’s defense.

The win places Redwood with a 3-4-1 overall record and a 3-2 record in MCAL.

Every player saw the field, but the team relied on key plays from leading starters, including the fullback powerhouse of sophomore Luigi Andrade and freshman Drake Ramos. The team was led by freshman Sam Warren, due to former sophomore quarterback Wyatt Kazarian’s injury in a previous game.

The game started off slowly with no large offensive plays from either team, but Redwood got on the scoreboard with a touchdown by Alex Aguero at the end of the first quarter. The second quarter finished with Redwood leading 18-7 after a 75-yard touchdown from Aguero and a passing touchdown to Andrew Reinhard.

“We are running the ball well and executing passes, but a few mental mistakes have changed this game,” said coach Thomas Wong. In the first half, Redwood was not able to score any extra points and lost some important plays due to penalty flags.

In the third quarter, Eli Neiman scored a touchdown after breaking four tackles in his run, but the touchdown was called back because of a penalty flag. However, he scored a touchdown a few minutes later that left the team roaring.

“That’s what you call redemption,” Aguero said after Neiman’s touchdown.

Neiman scored one more touchdown in the fourth quarter that finished the game 32-7.

The team will look to build off of the win in their next game against Drake on Saturday, Oct. 31 at home.