Beloved Candy Shop in Tiburon closes due to rising rent
Lucy JeffersApril 24, 2024

The Candy Store on Main Street in Tiburon has served the community since February 1997 as a local attraction, garnering visitors from all over...

Crickets in the Crowd; Playing in the Shadows
Lucy Jeffers and Petra NovotnyApril 24, 2024

Friday rolls around, and the anticipated boys’ varsity basketball game is only hours away. You can hardly wait to scream at the top of your...

Posing for a photo, Armstrong coaches her team at the 2024 Faultline Faceoff, located at the San Pablo Reservoir.
Celebrating 40 years at the Marin Rowing Association: A glimpse into the life of Sandy Armstrong
Morgan SicklickApril 24, 2024

The reason to love a sport is about more than just the technique or talent. Often, it is the coach who helps push and guide everyone along the...

Varsity football shines under the lights

Junior safety Alex Wilson jumped the route of a Mission High receiver, intercepting the wobbly pass from the quarterback. Evading tacklers, Wilson jogged into the end zone, completing a wild interception return, a highlight of Redwood’s impressive win Friday night.

The Giants beat Mission by a score of 47-20, demonstrating offensive prowess and a consistent defense in front of a loud crowd.

The game was played under the lights at Kezar Stadium, once the home of the San Francisco 49ers.

It took only three carries on the opening drive from junior running back Nick Calzaretta to get the Giants on the scoreboard, highlighted by a bruising run in which he ran over a helpless opposing linebacker.

Calzaretta’s rushing set the tone for the Giants’ offense. He consistently gained yardage in large chunks, and scored two touchdowns.

Junior quarterback Trevor Foehr also had a strong performance in his second start at the helm this season. He ran in two short touchdowns and threw for 110 yards while leading the Giants to an explosive offensive performance.

Along with Wilson’s interception return, the Giants defense made a few other big plays, including an early safety from senior defensive lineman Jake Curhan that made the score 10-0, and an interception by junior linebacker Gus Buddie midway through the second quarter.

Mission proved to be an athletic team, but their small roster size and some key dropped passes from their wide receivers ended any chance they had at a rally.

The Giants’ electric start to the game excited their fans, who made the trip into the city. The game, which was highly anticipated because it was under the lights and in a big stadium atmosphere, proved to be worth the hype as the Giants shined on both sides of the ball.

Redwood is now 2-2 (1-0 in MCAL). They play next at Novato on Saturday, Oct. 3 at 2:00 p.m.