Kellen Smith and Lucas TemperoApril 21, 2024

Owen McDanielsApril 21, 2024

Baseball advances to MCAL finals with win against Branson

The boys’ varsity baseball team added one more win to their 21-3 record with a 2-1 win over the opposing Branson High School on May 21.

Down by one run for the majority of the game, the Giants started a sixth inning rally with a stolen base by senior Aaron Dorfler, who then advanced to third after a hit by a wild throw from the Bulls catcher. Dorfler was then able to score from third with a sacrifice bunt from senior Devin Pence.

The Giants’ bats came alive again in the seventh inning as senior Adam Hussain reached first on a Branson throwing error. Hussain then made his way to third after stealing second, then a sacrifice fly ball.

With one out and Hussain on third, senior Matt Blankenship came up to bat, but was unable to get on base. With a runner still on third, Dorfler came up to bat and batted in the winning run with a single up the middle.

Despite loading the bases in the first inning and letting the Bulls score one run, senior pitcher Tyler Peck found his rhythm shutting down the Bulls’ offense for the remaining six innings.

“I focused on attacking early,” Peck said. “In a game like this, you can’t give up free bases, especially to a team who you know is going to swing the bat. It was a kill kill kill mindset. We’ve been here before and have won 22 games now. We know how to win now and are striving for another championship.”

The Giants will play in the MCAL championship game against Marin Catholic at 7 p.m. on Saturday at Albert Park.