Cafeteria remodel proposed to Redwood Foundation

If a plan put together by a group of parents is approved, the Redwood cafeteria could begin to be remodeled as early as this summer.

Students eat lunch in the cafeteria, which, if approved by the Redwood Foundation and Board of Trustees, will be remodeled. The changes would be implemented this summer.

The plan was proposed last Tuesday to the Redwood High School Foundation by a group called the Committee to Improve the Redwood CEA.

In order for the project to be approved and gain funding, it must go through a lengthy process of proposals with the Redwood Foundation and then the Board of Trustees.

The plan must be approved by all parties involved in order to actually take action.

The Committee to Improve the Redwood CEA is comprised of Redwood faculty, parents, and students.

If approved, the cafeteria remodel will be designed by interior designer and PTSA member Karen McMullen.

McMullen’s prior design experience includes overseeing the design of the America’s Cup VIP Lounge and Marina Green venue, along with supplying interior furnishings to several large tech companies, including some of Google Headquarters in Silicon Valley.

According to McMullen, the scope of the project has not been determined, but an application for grant funding has been submitted to the Redwood Foundation’s Allocation Committee.

The grant includes requests for new paint, wall decor, two lounge areas, and a cafe with group seating.

“The goal of the remodel is to give the students what they want—a lounge and a cool environment to eat, socialize, and study in, faster food service, charging stations, large screen TV’s, microwaves,” McMullen said.

Sophomore Liam Lucas said he is excited about the potential changes to the cafeteria.

“I like some design aspects of the cafeteria, but some aspects are slightly distasteful. I think the tables are decent, but not very comfortable. I also think there should be more recycling bins, because you’re not supposed to throw everything in the trash. I’d also like to see a new cold water dispenser,” Lucas said.

PTSA member Laurie Dubin, who initially proposed the idea for the remodel, has a similar vision for the cafeteria.

“We really hope that [the cafeteria] can be a place where students come to not only to eat, but also socialize, hang out, and study together,” Dubin said.

According to Dubin, the District Nutritional Service believes that if every student ate at the cafeteria once a week, the school would be able to spend more money on improving food options.

In order to accomplish this, McMullen hopes that the cafeteria will stay open longer than it currently does with the help of parent volunteers.

McMullen and the Committee to Improve the Redwood CEA have already planned various possible designs for the proposed project.

“One [project proposal] is an ‘urban loft/rustic modern’ style cafeteria, with organic, recycled woods and steel, Redwood school colors, an open floor plan with small and large vignettes, a denim and wood lounge, and red metal chairs,”  McMullen said.

“The second [proposal] is a more modern design. The look will be red, white, and black Anthracite, polypropylene chairs in many colors, high and low tables, with areas for privacy, classic ultra leather lounge chairs, steel tables and fun ambient lighting.”

According to McMullen, the extent of the remodel will depend on the amount of funds contributed to the project.

McMullen said that in the proposed plan, changes to the cafeteria kitchen would be minimal.

“All we hope to do with the kitchen is have better signage. The cafeteria staff will remain the same, and the price of food after the remodel will not rise,” McMullen said.