A close game between Redwood Boys Lacrosse and Mater Dei. Photo Courtesy of Blake Atkins and Mark Holmstrom
How sports scholarships transform lives
Elena Dillon and Lily BellApril 25, 2024

Nothing fuels a high school athlete’s desire for success like the possibility of earning a college scholarship. Many student-athletes work...

Illustration by Cora Champommier
Our future is not a game!
Cora ChampommierApril 25, 2024

As I walk in the hallway with my giant Redwood Soccer parka, I look up to see Sabine, a freshman who performs well in my math class; I know...

Getting a job during high school: Does it ‘work’?
Henrik VraanesApril 25, 2024

Every year, fewer and fewer students are working jobs. In 2000, 43 percent of teens worked a job during the summer, but in 2021, the number...

Foreign student cooks up a new club

Hungry students swarm around the table as freshman Emma Winkler-Prins slices into her signature chocolate fudge pie. Passing around paper plates and napkins, the eager club members laugh and share stories before diving in with their forks. Winkler-Prins founded the Culinary Club this semester in hopes of bringing together students who love food.

There are currently about 20 members who meet weekly on Thursdays at lunch. As president, Winkler-Prins said that the focus of the club is for students to bond while sharing their passion for food. They work together to create recipes, exhibit their cooking, and talk about all things related to food.

“It’s a really cool concept because people can sign up each week to bring food and we all get to try new things,” said freshman Timila Clarke.

The club is also considering several weekend trips, including a visit to West Marin’s Cowgirl Creamery, a local farmer’s market, and a hotel kitchen.

culinaryclub
Freshman, Winkler-Prins prepares a dish for the club’s Mexican day.

A self-taught cook, Winkler-Prins prepares dinner every night for her family and said she is excited to share her fascination with her peers. Winkler-Prins was born in Amsterdam and has also lived in Switzerland, Buenos Aires, and Paris. Her global travels have helped her infuse different cultural styles into her own dishes.

“I have lived everywhere and I have really developed a love for exotic food,” she said. Winkler-Prins’ passion for cooking emerged two years ago when she decided she wanted to explore more unique food.

“I was sick of having really boring Dutch food and I wanted to try something new,” she said.

The club has brought diverse students together, creating an environment where they can share their cultures through food.

“My grandmother taught me to cook when I was 10,” said freshman Damaris Miranda. “I have learned how to make a lot of Peruvian dishes.”

Although the club is new, many students have already brought in dishes. According to Winkler-Prins, whether it is crepes or hummus, the members are eager to share their meals. Some students claim that they have been aspiring chefs for years, while others are simply interested the opportunity to eat.

Winkler-Prins said she hopes to further her interest in the future with the goal of participating in the television show “MasterChef.”

“I hope to do lots of things when I grow up, but I do really want to have a restaurant,” she said.