Leadership hosts fundraiser to support families in need

The Leadership class is currently facilitating a school-wide fundraiser to support the Adopt A Family organization.

Kate Badertscher Fundraiser

According to Liz Teodoro, one of Adopt A Family’s resource counselors, the goal of the organization is to reduce the homeless rate in Marin by providing families with structured financial and emotional assistance.

Each semester, Leadership chooses one organization for which to raise money. This semester’s fundraiser will continue through April 6.

The fundraiser was first proposed by Junior Class Treasurer Jessica Flaum, who has previously worked with Adopt A Family.

“I know that it helps a lot of people in our community,” Flaum said. “I think it’s good for students to feel like they contribute to their community and the people around them, even if it’s not directly the people they go to school with.”

The organization uses a variety of services to support the needs of struggling families.

“We provide financial assistance to families who live in Marin County in the form of rental subsidies, and security deposits assistance,” Teodoro said. “We also provide resources, information, and referrals to other services in the county. And we also just listen and provide emotional support.”

According to the Adopt a Family website, 88 percent of donations go directly to families in Marin.

Labeled cash donation boxes for students and teachers can be found in every homeroom class.