Siblings pay kindness forward after sister’s injury

Five years ago, junior Jackson Chou stood in the emergency room’s waiting room, listening anxiously as a doctor deliver the news that his sister, now-freshman Elia Chou, had received a traumatic brain injury from a ski accident.

Elia, then in fourth grade, experienced memory loss and was hospitalized for a week after. However, if she hadn’t been wearing a helmet, the injuries could have been more severe, according to Jackson.

Junior Jackson Chou skis down the slopes.

Elia had to relearn the school lessons because she had forgotten most of it. She was set about a year behind in math, but worked her way back up.

“It affected my family more than anything. My parents and brother were so worried that I wouldn’t be the same person anymore, but I went through a fast recovery,” Elia said.

While Elia has now completely recovered from her injury, she still worries about how extensive the injuries could have been had she not been wearing a ski helmet at the time of the accident.

“It was definitely something that changed my life. It made me realize how much I had taken for granted and how easily things could be taken away,” Elia said.

Elia said she doesn’t compete in races anymore and just skis for enjoyment which is not related to the accident. She said said she didn’t want the stress and commitment associated with racing.

After Elia’s ski accident, she decided to do something to help other people who have gone through similar injuries. She and Jackson joined the High Fives Foundation, an organization that works with athletes suffering from snow sport injuries.

Jackson recently became a teen ambassador for the foundation, located out of Truckee, Calif.

Jackson said he was proud to become an ambassador and help those suffering from injuries like his sister did. He wants to draw attention to the idea of safety after the accident of his sister and many others he has witnessed.

“It makes me think that if one wasn’t wearing a helmet at that time, their life could be totally different today,” Jackson said.

As an ambassador, Jackson mostly promotes safety on the slopes, wearing gear at big races.

“I wear the High Fives gear in all the races I compete to promote it and show the importance of safety. When someone gets hurt during a competition, I will call the company and they will send money and care packages to the family,” Jackson said.

The High Fives Organization produced a film in 2013 titled “#helmetsarecool,” in which Elia and Jackson were featured, to show the severities and risks around not wearing a helmet.

This film was viewed at multiple events throughout the country, as well as at Redwood because of Jackson and Elia’s help and influence.

The film follows snowboarder Danny Toumarkine’s recovery from a traumatic brain injury suffered while snowboarding in Montana. The New Hampshire-born snowboarder overshot a jump, resulting in a compressed spine and extensive brain injury. He was not wearing a helmet at the time of his crash. If he had been, says Toumarkine in the film, he might have only suffered a concussion.

“People from his community donated money to help him recover,” Jackson said, explaining that they later inspired him to create his foundation.

The foundation’s goal is to help athletes who have suffered from injuries while practicing to recover by funding part of their recovery.

In addition to athletes, the video looks at companies that are making helmets safer. The High Fives foundation teamed with another Swedish company, MIPS, to create a revolutionary new system in helmets to reduce the rotational force that causes a majority of brain injuries on the slopes.

“So far, being part of the High Fives foundation I have witnessed great success in safety among high performing athletes. With our help, safety is being spread all over,” Jackson said.