Music played in hallways serves as creative outlet

The administration’s recent decision to prohibit students from playing their music in the hallways during passing periods has sparked a debate about student rights and freedom of self expression and the extent to which school is a professional environment merits heated debate. Schools are legally responsible for each and every one of their students during the course of the school day and therefore reserve the right to implement the rules they see fit regarding our education.

However, schools are just that—schools. School is not a professional workplace and therefore should not be treated as such. Instead, school should be treated as a place for us to learn, grow, and express ourselves.

WEBIMAGE2georgia.musichallways

Throughout my academic experience, I’ve learned that everyone expresses themselves differently —some people write, some people draw, and some people express themselves through music, whether that means composing their own music or simply compiling a playlist of their favorite songs. Music gives people an outlet to express their moods and feelings, and schools should foster and encourage this creative expression, the same way that they encourage writing and art.

While playing music out loud during class time definitely could be distracting and detrimental to our learning, playing it for five minutes as students shuffle from class to class is relatively harmless. For some, hearing music play in the background as they walk through the hallways makes their day by lifting their spirits and breaking up the monotony of a rigorous academic schedule.

For those who don’t appreciate the soundtrack, it only lasts for the duration of the passing period and doesn’t disrupt or negatively contribute to their learning environment. As long as the music is not obscene, it should not pose too big of a problem for anyone.

Additionally, the music is really only audible for the few people who are right in front of or behind the student playing it. If you don’t like the music, walk a little faster.

School is supposed to teach us skills and values that will help us in the future, and it could be argued that an important value to learn for the future is tolerance. Everyone is different. Everyone expresses themselves in different ways, and those differences should not only be tolerated, but celebrated.

Learning to live with and appreciate our diversity is an extremely valuable lesson. By embracing a diverse student body, we gain valuable perspective into how others view the world. Just because you personally don’t choose to broadcast your favorite music down the hallways doesn’t mean you shouldn’t respect those who do.

It is part of a school’s role to encourage the development of  creative and unique students, so the administration should actively support, encourage, and promote our right to self expression in whatever form it may take: They should not be able to pick and choose how they allow students to express themselves. Why is someone’s right to play music in the hallway any less valid than someone’s right to display their painting of Bob Marley?

By telling us we aren’t allowed to play music in the hallways, the administration is not promoting tolerance, nor is it respecting student creativity. Teachers, and more important the administration, should embrace their role in our lives, and encourage us to express ourselves and be creative.

As long as we aren’t disrupting class or interrupting teachers, our right to express ourselves should be valued, respected, and most important, allowed —regardless of the medium.