Beloved Candy Shop in Tiburon closes due to rising rent
Lucy JeffersApril 24, 2024

The Candy Store on Main Street in Tiburon has served the community since February 1997 as a local attraction, garnering visitors from all over...

Crickets in the Crowd; Playing in the Shadows
Lucy Jeffers and Petra NovotnyApril 24, 2024

Friday rolls around, and the anticipated boys’ varsity basketball game is only hours away. You can hardly wait to scream at the top of your...

Posing for a photo, Armstrong coaches her team at the 2024 Faultline Faceoff, located at the San Pablo Reservoir.
Celebrating 40 years at the Marin Rowing Association: A glimpse into the life of Sandy Armstrong
Morgan SicklickApril 24, 2024

The reason to love a sport is about more than just the technique or talent. Often, it is the coach who helps push and guide everyone along the...

Checkmated by a Chessmaster

Last Thursday, Bark Video Editor Alex Herz and Editor-in-Chief Culley Deisinger challenged freshman Ladia Jirasek, a national Chessmaster, to a short game of chess. Deisinger shares Ladia’s story, as well as  the details of his experience.

Freshman Ladia Jirasek watches over fellow Chess Club member Harry Levinson at last Thursday's meeting. Jirasek is currently ranked a Chessmaster by the United States Chess Federation.
Freshman Ladia Jirasek watches over fellow Chess Club member Harry Levinson at last Thursday’s meeting. Jirasek is currently ranked a Chessmaster by the United States Chess Federation.

I had the personal pleasure of playing a relatively short chess match against freshman Ladia Jirasek at last Thursday’s Redwood Chess Club meeting. The 14-year-old Jirasek has only five years of chess under his belt and, in the most modest sense of the term, put on a clinic for me.

Jirasek’s interest in chess was sparked after viewing the famous “wizard chess” scene from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone at the age of nine. It was the first time Jirasek had seen chess, and, after playing with and learning from his father, he joined Marin Scholastic Chess.

From that point on, Jirasek, without any help from private coaches, quickly evolved from a beginning level of 0 to his now 2221-point Chessmaster international ranking. To put that into perspective, only 0.7 percent of all American chess players ever get to a 2200 point level or higher.

Jirasek has played at numerous tournaments throughout his short career. As proof of his dedication to the game, Jirasek once engaged in an especially rigorous tournament match that lasted from five in the afternoon to one in the morning. He eventually conceded to a draw. Last week, Jirasek played and defeated renowned chess instructor and Life Master Michael Aigner.

“I love challenges and I love to take on new challenges. There are so many different moves in chess and that there is always something new to learn,” Jirasek said.

If you are not convinced of Jirasek’s chess prowess, you can go watch him play every Monday and Thursday in room 257 during the bi-weekly Chess Club meeting, hosted by senior Harry Levinson. If you’re not willing to make the trip, here is a short clip detailing our hard-fought match:

Chess