Student volunteer pushes a cart full of recovered food at the San Rafael Farmers Market to contribute to ExtraFood’s goal to end food waste (Photo courtesy of ExtraFood).
ExtraFood tackles the job to end food waste and hunger since 2013
Scarlett MusgroveApril 24, 2024

Marin is the fourth wealthiest county in the Bay Area and yet a significant portion of its population is struggling with hunger, according...

Beyond the Netflix queue: Festive movies for every occasion

As the holidays approach, many of us are preparing to enjoy the company of loved ones, and sitting down for a festive movie is a great way to get into the holiday spirit. This winter season, the Bark chose to review the best movies to watch during the holidays. The movies chosen are classics in four different categories—best date night movie, best movie to watch while babysitting, best movie to watch with friends, and of course, best movie to watch with the family. 

Best Holiday Date Night Movie: “Love Actually”

Based in London, “Love Actually” follows 12 adults through the holiday season as they deal with love and romance, from the Prime Minister who falls for a younger member of his staff to the married man attracted to his secretary. The movie features well-known actors such as Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson, Emma Thompson, and Keira Knightley, all of whom play an essential role in the interwoven storyline. With so many names, faces, and stories to remember, the movie can get confusing at times. However, with romance and comedy intertwined within the context of the holidays, “Love Actually” provides the ultimate date night movie for couples.

Best Holiday Movie to Watch While Babysitting: “Home Alone”

As a movie that appeals to all ages, the original “Home Alone” is an ideal pick. The PG-rated story tells the tale of a young boy named Kevin McCallister who is left behind one Christmas vacation to fend for himself against foolish burglars who try to break into his home. With the uplifting idea of an independent child standing up for himself, along with the hilarity of the child outsmarting the adults, “Home Alone” is an ideal movie to entertain both you and the kids you babysit.

BUDDY THE ELF learns to live life as a human after growing up in the North Pole in the movie “Elf,” released in 2003. Esteemed comedic actor Will Ferrell stars in this seasonal classic.

Best Holiday Movie to Watch With Friends: “Elf”

A classic holiday movie, “Elf” never disappoints when it comes to inspiring Christmas joy. The comedy is about an orphan who climbed into Santa’s sack one Christmas Eve and ended up being raised within the elf community in the North Pole. The baby grows into a person named Buddy (Will Ferrell), who has literally and figuratively outgrown his friends in  the North Pole, a place where he never quite fit in. In search of his real identity, Buddy sets out on a journey to New York City to find his father, who is not the kind of person Buddy expected him to be. This adorable tale could be watched within the company of anyone, but is particularly enjoyable among friends due to its amusing storyline.

Best Holiday Family Movie: “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation”

Many holiday movies appeal to family audiences using holiday-related humor pertaining to this time of year. However, some do so better than others. “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” is part of the National Lampoon series about the Griswold family’s adventures. This relatable, outrageously funny comedy tells a story that represents the hilarity of this chaotic time, with every little thing that could possibly go wrong taking a turn for the worse. Since the movie was released in the ‘80s, parents will fondly remember it—and everyone will be willing to watch it again this Christmas.