A close game between Redwood Boys Lacrosse and Mater Dei. Photo Courtesy of Blake Atkins and Mark Holmstrom
How sports scholarships transform lives
Elena Dillon and Lily BellApril 25, 2024

Nothing fuels a high school athlete’s desire for success like the possibility of earning a college scholarship. Many student-athletes work...

Illustration by Cora Champommier
Our future is not a game!
Cora ChampommierApril 25, 2024

As I walk in the hallway with my giant Redwood Soccer parka, I look up to see Sabine, a freshman who performs well in my math class; I know...

Illustration by Lauren Olsen
Getting a job during high school: Does it ‘work’?
Henrik VraanesApril 25, 2024

Every year, fewer and fewer students are working jobs. In 2000, 43 percent of teens worked a job during the summer, but in 2021, the number...

Boys’ and girls’ varsity basketball teams take the annual alumni game

Sophomore Nicki Yang lines up for a free throw next to Redwood alums.

The girls’ and boys’ varsity basketball teams took to the courts of the Redwood gym in the annual alumni basketball game on Wednesday evening, Nov. 26.

Both varsity teams stuck to the trend this year by beating the alumni.  The girls’ game had a final score of 36-21, and the boys prevailed 61-51.

The varsity boys held the lead throughout the entire game.  The closest the alumni came was three points with two minutes left in the third quarter.

Varsity sophomore Ray James and senior LaRon Bullock led the charge, scoring nine points apiece.

Although they lost the game, the alumni men were still spirited, as their team’s sideline was constantly alive with cheers and laughs.

The team was made up of Redwood alumni from as far back as 1969.  Lou Larsen, head of Redwood Athletic Hall of Fame said that he enjoys the tradition of the game.

The boys' varsity basketball team watches as a Redwood alumni takes a free throw.
The boys’ varsity basketball team watches as a Redwood alumni takes a free throw.

“I know almost all the alumni, I have coached some of them, so I love seeing them all come back,” Larsen said.  “This is a good time for the community of Redwood basketball to get back together.”

Earlier that evening, the varsity girls and alumni had an evenly matched game.

The two teams were neck and neck throughout the first half until varsity pulled away in the third quarter and held the alumni scoreless in the fourth quarter.

Junior Bengu Atik scored ten points, largely contributing to her team’s victory.  Class of 2014 graduate Chace Shornstein, was a standout among the alumni.