Artificial Inteligence : The effect on our generation

After long hours of lectures in class, a science lab to complete, sports practice and extracurriculars, that one math assignment may just be...

Out of stock label teacher drawing
Indah HerzenbergApril 24, 2024

“In the US, there is a projected shortage of over 100,000 teachers by 2024,” stated Simbli, a company that helps to improve school districts...

Sustainable Agriculture class hosts farmers’ markets

On Sept. 26, the Sustainable Agriculture class hosted their first of many farmers’ markets.

According to Joe Stewart, who started the class in 2014, the students plan to host farmers markets on the last Friday of every month for the rest of the school year.

The Sustainable Agriculture farm is located near the pool. The Sustainable Agriculture class will host a farmers' market on the last Friday of every month.
The Sustainable Agriculture farm is located near the pool. The Sustainable Agriculture class will host a farmers’ market on the last Friday of every month.

“This is a way to share what we’ve learned and what we’ve grown with the community, and that’s an important part of what we’re trying to do,” Stewart said.

According to junior Dana Brooks, the class is split up into separate groups that manage different aspects of the markets.

These groups include the watering group, which handles the irrigation system, harvesting group, which harvests the crops, and a networking group, which spreads awareness about the class and upcoming events.

“It allows me to be outside and be with nature and it’s a nice break during the day,” said Brooks.

Their pricing is based off of other farmers’ market prices, according to Stewart. The money that the class collects will be used to buy tools and supplies for the farm.

As well as selling produce, students in the class share information about other farmers’ markets in Marin.

“Part of sustainability is being part of a working system; we want to be sharing what we do production and education wise,” Stewart said.

In order to run the farmers’ market, the class began planning a few monthsin advance to have time to harvest the produce and plan logistics of the event. According to Brooks, over the summer, volunteer students started growing crops in order to be ready for the farmers markets at the beginning of the year such as strawberries.

During the winter months, Stewart predicts challenges may arise in terms of what can be harvested. According to Stewart, the class is still working on ideas for the market during the winter months.