Fast Thrifting: How fast fashion continues to harm thrift stores

Across the nation, billions of dollars are spent annually on clothing from local thrift stores. This eco-friendly method of clothing resale has...

Decorated in customized apparel, members of The Woods flaunt their vibrant red t-shirts.
Student-led spirit group ‘The Woods’ encourages attendance at less-appreciated sporting events
Madison BishopApril 13, 2024

On Feb. 13, The Woods emerged as a student-led group to promote school spirit and unify the student body. Its objective is to raise attendance...

Sweet delights at San Rafael Farmers’ Market: Waffle Mania, Brittany Crêpes and KettlePop
Nick HartungApril 10, 2024

As winter draws to a close, the local San Rafael Farmers’ Market is coming alive. Every Sunday, hundreds of farms, shops and stores from across...

Face-to-Face: Which is better, Androids or iPhones?

Face-to-Face is a feature that allows two members of the Redwood community to grill each other, argue, or simply converse about a relevant issue or event. We provide the

topic, and they do the rest. This month’s participants are juniors Max Lukianchikov and Nate Orwig. The discussion compares the benefits and drawbacks of iPhones and Androids. The two members featured have both owned an iPhone and an Android within the last three years.

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 2.49.27 PM

What is your opinion of Android phones?

Nate Orwig: Android phones are pretty nice. I mean, the huge screens I’m not a big fan of. People are dissing the iPhone with the new screen, but I think the Android screen is a little ridiculous. The new iPhone 6 is overdoing it. So the screen is too big, it looks stupid, you can’t fit it in your pocket comfortably. They are just too big, too clunky, and don’t have the sleek technological look that the iPhone has.

Max Lukianchikov: To start off, Androids are actually slimmer than iPhones. Fact is, you can do much, much more on an Android—it is easier to use. A lot of people say, “Oh I don’t know how to use this.”

NO: You’re saying iPhone users are stupid!

ML: They are not stupid—

NO: But they are not smart enough to use Androids?

ML: No, no, no, but people have said that iPhones are apparently much easier to use than Androids.  My opinion on that is purely because they do not know how to use it and have never spent the time to realize, “Oh, it’s just as easy as pressing buttons on a screen.”

What is your opinion of iPhones?

ML: They are a great example of a lot of potential that someone decided to dumb down. They are stupid because you cannot do as much as you can do with an Android. And right now, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus is trying to copy Androids, and, look, people don’t like that for some reason. Apple is also doing it badly by making it so you can do less and not achieve as much.

NO: iPhones are very simplistic, but they are easy to use, which is why they are so broadly used. Everything is really confined so you don’t have to get a bunch of apps to do a lot of different things. My personal favorite iPhones are the iPhone 5 and 5s. They really show the great things Apple can make.

Do you notice any similar qualities between the two? Who do you think came up with the idea first?

ML: The majority of the products in the iPhone that are used were created by Android companies and have been used and applied to iPhones solely for their ingenuity and for the fact that they are the best products out there. Apple has not invented a single thing. It has used other people’s product’s ingenuity.

NO: There are definitely some similarities between the brands that you can see in the screen and the way its formed. They all run the same applications, well, most of the same applications, and you can download apps onto your phone.

ML: Actually, the majority of applications cannot be downloaded on an iPhone because iPhone only allows you to download through iTunes or through the iTunes store, when in fact there are countless programs that you can use to download applications onto your phone.

Are the phone brands fairly priced [without a contract]?

NO: God no.

ML: Oh God no, definitely not.

NO: There is no way that either brand is fairly priced.

ML: The good thing with Androids is the wide price range. With iPhones, you would be paying a  lot of money.

NO: But the good news is that you can buy older iPhones for very, very cheap.

ML: So you can buy used iPhones that have already been warranted and are out of style just as you could buy a new Android.

NO: Yeah, iPhones are too expensive.

ML: You heard it here first from an iPhone user!

Why do you prefer your phone brand over the alternative brand?

NO: I like my phone is because it is easy to use. It is much quicker. I used to have a Samsung Galaxy in 8th grade and I hated it.

ML: Sure, for people who don’t care enough perhaps to really customize the way they want to use their phone. But for me, the fact is, when I use a phone, I want it to be easy, I want it to be simple, and I want it to do whatever I want to do. With an Android, keep in mind there are so many Androids to choose from, each one serves a different purpose and each one is customizable so you can create an experience you want to have.