Indah Herzenberg April 24, 2024

Elle Wilson April 24, 2024

Student volunteer pushes a cart full of recovered food at the San Rafael Farmers Market to contribute to ExtraFood’s goal to end food waste (Photo courtesy of ExtraFood).
ExtraFood tackles the job to end food waste and hunger since 2013
Scarlett Musgrove April 24, 2024

Marin is the fourth wealthiest county in the Bay Area and yet a significant portion of its population is struggling with hunger, according...

McCarthy commits to University of Arizona for swimming

Senior swimmer Emma McCarthy verbally committed to the University of Arizona earlier this month.

McCarthy, who specializes in the 100, 200, and 500 yard freestyle, made her decision to compete next year for the Wildcats, who finished in eighth place at the 2014 NCAA Division I Women’s Championship, on Sept. 6.

Senior and recently committed Emma McCarthy, catches her breath at the end of a swim race.

According to McCarthy, she also received interest from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Vanderbilt University, and the University of Michigan.

“I really liked the team and the coach [at Arizona],” McCarthy said. “It was a better fit for me. You have to spend four years everyday with these people. You have to get along and like them.”

McCarthy spends most of her time in the water competing year-round for North Bay Aquatics, but still manages to swim for Redwood.  Last year, she placed second in her primary event, the 200 yard freestyle, in the MCAL Championship, and placed ninth at NCS.

By swimming for the club team North Bay Aquatics, McCarthy has connections to her future school.

“My North Bay coach, Ken DeMont, went to Arizona and basically started the legacy for a great program there,” McCarthy said. “My other coach, Don Swartz, coached Ken’s brother Rick DeMont, who is the head coach at Arizona, to the Olympics winning a gold medal and setting a world record.”