The Impact of the potential ‘NO’ on Measure A
Emily Hitchcock, Web Designer • March 27, 2024

New restaurants bring fresh southern flavor to Marin: Pig in a Pickle

With a quirky name and simple barbecue cuisine, Pig in a Pickle opened on July 21 in the Corte Madera Town Center.

Although you won’t hear the customers speaking with classic Southern drawls, you will still feel the mellow vibe as you enter the restaurant.

Located across from Baja Fresh and next to Urban Outfitters, the new restaurant lures people in through its doors with the tempting aroma of grilled meat.

THE BEEF BRISKET sandwich with barbecue sauce is one of the most popular items on the menu at Corte Madera Town Center’s new Pig in a Pickle.

The beef brisket sandwich is one of the most popular and delicious dishes on the menu. The pulled pork and baby back ribs come in for a close second and third place, respectively, making this restaurant a favorite spot for meat lovers.

Some of the dishes are a bit expensive for a lunchtime meal, with the beef brisket sandwich priced at $13 and the pulled pork sandwich at $11. However, the pricing is appropriate, based on the good quality of the hormone and antibiotic-free meat.

All meats are smoked using oak, hickory, or apple woods, which add  authentic flavors. Each sauce embodies a region of the southern United States, such as Memphis-Style BBQ, South Carolina Mustard Sauce, Dip from North Carolina, and Alabama White Sauce.

Although the menu at Pig in a Pickle is short, it offers many styles of grilled meats, and customers can pick and choose what sides they want to make a “custom” meal.

With only one seasonal mixed greens salad on the menu, vegetarians might find value in ordering several side dishes, such as the white cheddar mac ‘n cheese, the potato salad, or the tangy coleslaw. All sides come in small, medium, or large portions with varying prices of $3, $6, or $9.

The restaurant offers soft drinks, but you won’t want to miss out on the iced and sweet tea offerings, which sell out fast and truly exemplify the South.

One can also take advantage of the lovely outdoor seating, indoor tables, or bar for the thirsty customer.

With the time it takes to order and receive food, Pig in a Pickle may not be the best lunch spot for Redwood students, but it will be the choice location to come warm up on a cold night as fall and winter approach.