Getting a job during high school: Does it ‘work’?
Henrik Vraanes April 25, 2024

Every year, fewer and fewer students are working jobs. In 2000, 43 percent of teens worked a job during the summer, but in 2021, the number...

Artificial Intelligence: The potential threat to our education system
Imogen Colaco April 24, 2024

Indah Herzenberg April 24, 2024

Varsity football crushed by Marin Catholic

Crushed: it’s a word that is often dramatized to describe the outcome of a lopsided sporting event. But on Saturday afternoon, that word was an understatement for how the game between Marin Catholic and Redwood transpired.

Running back Khari Haynes (21) sprints upfield as a Giant lineman blocks for him. Haynes accounted for all of the Giants’ points, scoring two touchdowns in the second half on long running plays.

The Giants’ varsity football team was soundly defeated by Marin Catholic at the Wildcats’ home stadium on Saturday in Kentfield.

Marin Catholic won the game 51-12, handing the Giants their worst loss of the season.

The startling scoreline at the end of the first half: Wildcats 51 Giants 0.

However, by halftime all of the damage had already been inflicted, as the scoreboard read 51-0.

Behind a barrage of offense from Marin Catholic, spearheaded by Cal-bound quarterback Jared Goff, the Wildcats jumped out to a huge lead over the Giants.

As the game wore on, Marin Catholic continued to pour on the punishment, limiting quarterback Zach Dubin and the rest of the Giants’ offense to minimal yardage thanks to the Wildcats’ defensive line.

Sprinting towards the sideline, Marin Catholic backup quarterback Morgan Mahalek eludes two Giant defenders.

However, in the second half playing against a mostly second and third string Marin Catholic team, the Giants responded positively with two straight long touchdowns from running back Khari Haynes.

Additionally, Redwood shutout the Wildcats in the second half behind improved play from their defensive front and with help from the benching of Goff and starting running back Akili Terry.

Although the Giants missed both ensuing two-point conversions on Haynes’ touchdowns, the team still cut into the huge lead in the second half, with the scoreboard reading 51-12 by the end of the game.

With the loss, Redwood’s record drops to 1-1 in league, 1-4 overall.

The varsity team next faces Terra Linda at home next Saturday, Oct. 6.