Illustration by Zach Dinowitz
Endless screentime: The cost of social media platforms ignoring teenagers’ wellbeing
Imogen Colaco April 18, 2024

For as long as I can remember, I’ve had a phone in my pocket with some type of social media platform downloaded, whether it was TikTok, Snapchat...

Former coach and mentor Al-Endriss looking off into the distance
Baseball Roots Reimagined: From Players to Coaches
Reece Mori-Prange and Jack Block April 17, 2024

Redwood baseball is a program built to win games, award hard work and develop skills that set players up for future success. Coaches Bill Benz,...

Illustration by Charlotte Fishburne
Easy remedies for Senioritis
Charlotte Fishburne April 16, 2024

About this time every year, the same epidemic infects the Redwood senior population: Senioritis. With only five unexcused absences allowed per...

Videographer transforms Redwood TV broadcast

A calm voice says, “Quiet on the set…action.”

Senior Jack Bushell and junior Alex Herz film a Redwood TV episode.

Fifteen Redwood students start their brisk walk down the corridors of the school and then begin to sprint as they turn the corner from the social studies hallway to the math hallway.

Backpedalling, camera in hand, trying to keep pace in front of the screaming stampede is senior Jack Bushell, who finally cracks a smile as the crowd’s running turns into joyous laughter.

This is how far Redwood TV has come in the last three years: what started out as a drab reading of the homeroom announcements has evolved into a television show, with recent episodes including a miniature helicopter flyover and an April Fool’s zombie apocalypse.

“I definitely think Redwood TV has really grown more than I think anyone else thought it was going to grow,” said Bushell, who writers, directs, films, and produces Redwood TV. “I believe it’s a great thing for the school. It unites the student body and helps school spirit.”

The Evolution

Redwood TV was started by then-seniors Spencer Cross and Soroosh Pourmehraban during the 2011-12 school year. The first season served as a new mode to read the homeroom announcements despite the administration censoring multiple episodes.

After that year ended, Bushell jumped at the opportunity to save Redwood TV from possible cancellation. With some prior film experience, he convinced Principal David Sondheim and Leadership teacher David Plescia that he would be able to put in the time to take over Redwood TV.

Bushell’s first episode started with his soon-to-be signature time lapse before the reading of the homeroom announcements by a variety of hosts from Leadership. Over the last two years, he has added more entertaining elements that have made every episode the talk of the school on air-day.

“I’m always trying to think of certain things we haven’t really done before,” he said.

The most dramatic transition happened this year with episodes growing to around ten minutes in length, featuring sports highlights and update segments from all across the school.

“Jack has really taken his camera skills to a maximum and he’s really improved Redwood TV as a whole,” said host Luke Pfeiffer, who also worked on the first season with Cross and Pourmehraban. “He’s putting all of his energy and effort into just Redwood TV, so he’s really improving.”

The one constant throughout the last two years of Redwood TV are the stunningly beautiful time lapses which are the trademark of Bushell’s work, with his most common being of the Golden Gate Bridge shot from the Marin Headlands.

“I’ll get there in the morning and I’ll basically sit there,” Bushell said. “I’ll put my camera up, set the timer, and basically wait there.”

The Process

About a week before airing, Bushell will approach Plescia to tell him that the he will be producing a new episode. Plescia then gives him the announcements, the backbone for the broadcast, and the process begins.

Students charge the camera while filming the April Fool’s special.

Bushell spends the next few days preparing and brainstorming. “I research events, I make sure I know what’s happening,” he said.

His inspiration also comes from the abstract; he listens to new music in search for ideas for video as well as the feature songs.

“Before the week of the episode, I’ll spend maybe 30 minutes just listening to music and thinking of certain ideas: what would be cool, what would be creative to do?” Bushell said.

The most influential change this year has come in the days leading up to filming, as Redwood TV has turned into a real newscast.

“Now what I’ve done this past year is develop a script, like a real TV station, we’re going to reporters, we have a set,” he said. “Everything is scripted out, so the announcers know what to say. It’s more organized, more efficient, and it looks more professional.”

The filming happens over the weekend, from morning to afternoon: a process in which he shows near amazing command even with a soft voice, coordinating tens of teenagers with their own agendas into a broadcast team.

“It’s a lot of work on the producer side: making sure everyone is there and they know what to do,” he said. “If it were a TV station, it would be multiple people doing different jobs. Everything is relying on me and if I don’t do my job, it’s not going to happen, it’s not going to show on Monday.”

On filming days, he has to make sure everyone arrives on time and knows exactly what they are supposed to do. This was a problem last year when the Leadership class supplied their chosen hosts.

“[Leadership] provides the hosts and sometimes it’s difficult because there are people who could be naturally talented in front of the camera, like Drama students,” Bushell said. “It was frustrating because I would put in the time to be here and they would show up 30 or an hour late.”

This year, he has been allowed to chose his hosts from Leadership.

He is assisted by senior Lucas Wong and junior Alex Herz, who both possess a great deal of filming ability and experience. Wong is the assistant producer and also does sports recaps.

The process concludes with editing the raw film to be the finished product that we all see during Monday homeroom.

All together, Bushell estimates it all takes him around 10-15 hours per episode: three hours of planning, 3-4 hours of filming, and 5-6 hours of editing.

Balancing sports and Redwood TV got a lot more complicated for Bushell last November when he broke his leg while playing in an NCS soccer playoff match.

He was motivated him to get back to work after only one episode off, of which Wong produced. “After his first episode, I was shooting on crutches,” said Bushell, who also balances his time playing on the varsity lacrosse team.

The Redwood Dream

In the last two years, Bushell’s life has been transformed thanks to Redwood TV. He likes to think that he’s living his version of what he calls the “Redwood Dream.”

“The past two years of doing Redwood TV, I’ve become really close with Mr. Sondheim, I know just about all the teachers, I meet just about every single type of kid,” he said. “I think the great thing about it is you can meet new people and can have the Redwood experience all in one.”

A good way to describe what has happened over that time in high school student speak is that Redwood TV has become a “thing.” A thing that has had a lasting impact on the student body.

“Incorporating all those people, different types of people. They may not even be friend but the way they come together, it definitely brings the school together,” Pfeiffer said.

The lasting opportunity to be on camera in front of the school has given students their chance at their 15 seconds of Redwood fame.

“I can get people on camera and it’s fun to see peoples reactions and inspire and excite people, everyone now wants to be on camera,” Bushell said.

He has expanded his filming passions to his own company, Bushell Film. He wants to start filming sports highlights videos and aerial real estate video, as well as attending a film school for college next year.